Domain of f(x,y) = x^y: All Real Pairs Except (0,0)

• Thread starter JuanSolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the domain of f(x,y)=x^y is all real pairs except (0,0), and x must be greater than 0 while y can be any real number. However, if x is negative, the function is not defined and is discontinuous. This is because the function is defined as z=x^y, and ln(z)=yln(x), which is not defined for negative values of x. Therefore, the domain of x is (0,∞) and the domain of y is (-∞,∞).
JuanSolo

Homework Statement

What is the domain of f(x,y)=x^y

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be all real pairs except (0,0)
but it is x>0 and y all real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##z=x^y##, then ##ln(z)=yln(x)##

Do you see why x cannot be less than zero?

JuanSolo said:

Homework Statement

What is the domain of f(x,y)=x^y

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be all real pairs except (0,0)
but it is x>0 and y all real numbers?

How do you define (-1)^(1/2) or even worse (-1)^sqrt(2)?

Vorde said:
If ##z=x^y##, then ##ln(z)=yln(x)##

Do you see why x cannot be less than zero?

Look at this. Now where is ln(x) defined? Is it discontinuous anywhere? Are there any points where the function isn't defined...

Sorry, I don't think I fully understand
Would it not be defined when y is something like 2 or whatever, even if x is negative?

JuanSolo said:
Would it not be defined when y is something like 2 or whatever, even if x is negative?
How about when x < 0, if y = 1/2 or y = √(2). What then?

see this If z=x^y, then ln(z)=yln(x) , x cannot be less than zero since x is not defined if it is less than 0 . if you don't believe, you can press your calculator to see whether it has a result when you put in x a value which is less than 0.

but as long as x>0 , y can be defined in any value in R.
given x>0,
IF y>0 , f(x,y)=x^y .
IF y<0 , f(x,y)=x^(-y) = 1/(x^y)
IF y=0 , f(x,y)=1.
BUT when x<0 , the function is not defined , meaning , you can't get any answer, the function is discontinuous in x<0.
the domain of x is (0,∞) ,while y is (-∞,∞)

JuanSolo said:
It depends on your definition of exponentiation. If you were to restrict y to the integers, then yes, you could consistently define xy for negative values of x. On the other hand, for real numbers x and y, xy is often defined by xy=ey log x, which isn't defined if x<0.

I see
This is the first time I'm hearing of such a definition, I'll have to learn more about it
But thank you, I think I understand now

loy said:
but as long as x>0 , y can be defined in any value in R.
given x>0,
IF y>0 , f(x,y)=x^y .
IF y<0 , f(x,y)=x^(-y) = 1/(x^y)
IF y=0 , f(x,y)=1.
BUT when x<0 , the function is not defined , meaning , you can't get any answer, the function is discontinuous in x<0.
the domain of x is (0,∞) ,while y is (-∞,∞)
Your line,
IF y<0 , f(x,y)=x^(-y) = 1/(x^y)​
is incorrect.

You can say
[itex]\displaystyle \text{If }\ y<0\,,\ \text{ then }f(x,y)=x^{-|y|} = \frac{1}{x^{|y|}}\ .[/itex]​

1. What is the domain of the function f(x,y) = x^y?

The domain of this function includes all real values for x and y, except for the point (0,0). This means that any real number can be raised to any real power, as long as it is not the base or exponent of 0.

2. Why is the point (0,0) excluded from the domain?

The point (0,0) is excluded from the domain because it results in an undefined value for the function. When x=0, any value raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, but when both x and y are 0, the function becomes 0^0 which is undefined.

3. Can the domain of this function be extended to include the point (0,0)?

No, the domain cannot be extended to include the point (0,0) because it would result in an undefined value for the function. Some mathematicians believe that 0^0 should be defined as 1, but this is still a topic of debate and is not universally accepted.

4. How can the domain of this function be visualized graphically?

The domain of this function can be visualized on a 2-dimensional graph, with the x-axis representing the base (x) and the y-axis representing the exponent (y). The entire graph would be shaded, except for the point (0,0) which would be left blank.

5. Are there any other restrictions on the domain of this function?

No, there are no other restrictions on the domain of this function. As long as the point (0,0) is excluded, any other real number can be used as the base and exponent of the function.