Door Rotation: The Influence of Attached Rods and Forces

In summary, the conversation is about whether a door will rotate when a force is applied to a rod attached to it, or if the hinge will prevent it from moving. The discussion also involves finding alternative methods to test this, such as using clamps or pushing on the door handle. The conversation also touches on the idea of living one's own life and not conforming to societal norms.
Erunanethiel
If I were to put attach a long rod to the side of a door (the exact opposite of the side where it is hinged, the slim part)

And then I apply a force to the the right side of the rod I attached, would the door rotate to the right, or would the hinge completely oppose the force and the door wouldn't move?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would rotate, as the force is not directly in line with the hinge, producing torque on the door.

Attaching a rod to a door is a reasonable model of "taking hold of the door handle". So doesn't this question boil down to "can I open a door", or am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited:
It's not possible to answer the original question without a diagram.

CWatters said:
It's not possible to answer the original question without a diagram.
I am on mobile, do you have any suggestions on how I can draw the diagram and upload it here?

Draw one on paper, take a good photo, upload it?

Likes Erunanethiel
CWatters said:
Draw one on paper, take a good photo, upload it?
Screenshot_20170926-051543.png

The door will rotate anticlockwise.

Likes Erunanethiel
Erunanethiel said:
do you have any suggestions on how I can draw the diagram and upload it here?
Wouldn't it have been simpler to find a door and try it?

A.T. said:
Wouldn't it have been simpler to find a door and try it?
It would, but I like my doors enough to not hammer a nail to hold a rod in them

Erunanethiel said:
It would, but I like my doors enough to not hammer a nail to hold a rod in them
And they have no handles sticking out?

A useful trick in general is to imagine extending a situation to the point of absurdity. Imagine lengthening the rod until it's ten miles long. Then you've got something that looks very like a rod on a fulcrum, and your question becomes "can I tip a rod about a fulcrum?" Hopefully the answer is obvious.

Erunanethiel said:
I am not in USA, all we have here is nails
They do not glue boards together in wherever-istan? Possibly I am about to be educated in how things are done elsewhere.

jbriggs444 said:
They do not glue boards together in wherever-istan? Possibly I am about to be educated in how things are done elsewhere.
The main reason I didn't do it is it would take a lot of explaining to my family and can't do it without looking at least a little crazy of a person

Erunanethiel said:
The main reason I didn't do it is it would take a lot of explaining to my family and can't do it without looking at least a little crazy of a person
My father once asked me a rhetorical question about whether it was better to be thought "normal" by one's peers or to live your own life. He lived his own life well.

Likes Erunanethiel
Erunanethiel said:

You don't need a rod, if the door has handles. Just push on the handle the way you indicated in your diagram. The door will rotate if the line of action of the force doesn't pass through the hinge axis.

figure_72.jpg

jbriggs444 said:
My father once asked me a rhetorical question about whether it was better to be thought "normal" by one's peers or to live your own life. He lived his own life well.
Bless him

Related to Door Rotation: The Influence of Attached Rods and Forces

1. What is the purpose of studying door rotation and the influence of attached rods and forces?

The purpose of this study is to understand how the addition of rods and application of forces can affect the rotation of a door, which can have practical applications in various industries such as engineering and architecture.

2. How are the attached rods and forces expected to influence door rotation?

The attached rods and forces are expected to add additional support and stability to the door, resulting in a change in its rotation and movement.

3. What methods were used to conduct this study?

This study used a combination of theoretical analysis and experimental testing to investigate the influence of attached rods and forces on door rotation. Computer simulations and physical experiments were both utilized.

4. What were the main findings of this study?

The main findings of this study were that the addition of rods and forces can significantly alter the rotation of a door, with the specific effects depending on the location and direction of the forces applied. This highlights the importance of carefully considering these factors in the design and construction of doors.

5. How can the results of this study be applied in real-world settings?

The results of this study can be applied in various real-world settings, such as the design of doors for buildings or vehicles. By understanding the influence of attached rods and forces on door rotation, engineers and architects can make more informed decisions to ensure the safety and functionality of their designs.