Double Cardan Joint and angular velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular speed of a driven shaft when the drive shaft is rotating at 40.34774 RPM. The equation for angular velocity is provided, but more information is needed to accurately solve the problem, such as the type of shaft and joints being used and the units of measurement for the given RPM value. A general solution is provided assuming two identical cardan joints with a 45 degree angle between them.
dr29715
1. Homework Statement
What is the angular speed of a driven shaft whent he drive shaft is 40.34774 RPM? Assume that the cardan joints are offset by 45 degrees or less.

2. Homework Equations

Angular Velocity relationship

w2/w1 = cos(d)/(1-sin^2(o2)*sin^2(d)

w = angular velocity of shaft (1 is input and 2 is output)
d = angle between the shafts
o2= output shaft rotation angle

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I tried to use this equation to calculate the angluar velocity of the shaft between the two cardan joints and then apply that velocity using the same equation to calculate the angualr velocity of the output shaft. However, it seems that I am missing some information. Specifically, I assumed the angle between shafts is 45 degrees in each situation. What Am I missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify a few things before attempting to solve this problem. First, could you provide more context and background information about the system in question? For example, what type of drive shaft and cardan joints are being used, and what is the purpose of this system? This information can help me better understand the problem and provide a more accurate solution.

Second, it would be helpful to know the units of measurement for the given RPM value. Is it revolutions per minute, radians per minute, or another unit? This will affect the calculation of angular velocity.

Assuming that the given RPM value is in revolutions per minute and the system consists of two identical cardan joints with an angle of 45 degrees between them, I can provide a general solution for the angular velocity of the output shaft. However, this may not be applicable to all systems.

Using the equation you provided, w2/w1 = cos(d)/(1-sin^2(o2)*sin^2(d), we can rearrange it to solve for w2, the angular velocity of the output shaft. This gives us w2 = w1 * cos(d)/(1-sin^2(o2)*sin^2(d)). Plugging in the values, w1 = 40.34774 RPM and d = 45 degrees, we get w2 = 40.34774 * cos(45)/(1-sin^2(o2)*sin^2(45)). However, we still need to know the rotation angle of the output shaft, o2, to fully solve this problem.

In conclusion, more information is needed to accurately solve this problem. I hope this helps and I am happy to assist further once more details are provided.

Related to Double Cardan Joint and angular velocity

What is a Double Cardan Joint?

A Double Cardan Joint is a type of universal joint used in mechanical systems to transfer rotational power between two shafts that are not aligned with each other. It consists of two universal joints connected by a centering yoke, allowing for increased flexibility and reduced vibration.

How does a Double Cardan Joint work?

A Double Cardan Joint works by using two universal joints, one at each end, to transfer rotational power between two shafts that are not aligned with each other. The first universal joint allows for the transfer of power from the input shaft to the centering yoke, and the second universal joint allows for the transfer of power from the centering yoke to the output shaft.

What are the advantages of using a Double Cardan Joint?

There are several advantages to using a Double Cardan Joint, including increased flexibility, reduced vibration, and the ability to transfer power between two shafts that are not aligned with each other. Additionally, the centering yoke helps to evenly distribute torque, reducing wear and tear on the joints and shafts.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point. It is usually expressed in radians per second and is calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time.

How does the Double Cardan Joint affect angular velocity?

The Double Cardan Joint can affect angular velocity by allowing for increased flexibility and reduced vibration in the system. This can help to maintain a more consistent and efficient transfer of rotational power between the input and output shafts, resulting in a more stable and predictable angular velocity. However, if the joints or shafts are not properly aligned or maintained, it can also lead to decreased angular velocity or other issues in the system.