Kinematics Question - Double Cardan Joint

In summary, to accurately solve for the angular velocity of the driven shaft in a double cardan joint, we need to know the angle between the cardan joints and the length of the driven shaft. This information is necessary because the angle between the cardan joints will affect the output shaft rotation angle and therefore the angular velocity of the driven shaft. We can use the Law of Cosines to find the angle between the cardan joints and then use the given equation to solve for the angular velocity of the driven shaft.
dr29715
Kinematics Question -- Double Cardan Joint

Homework Statement

What is the angular speed of a driven shaft whent he drive shaft is 40.34774 RPM? Assume that the cardan joints are offset by 45 degrees or less.

Homework Equations

Angular Velocity relationship

w2/w1 = cos(d)/(1-sin^2(o2)*sin^2(d)

w = angular velocity of shaft (1 is input and 2 is output)
d = angle between the shafts
o2= output shaft rotation angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use this equation to calculate the angluar velocity of the shaft between the two cardan joints and then apply that velocity using the same equation to calculate the angualr velocity of the output shaft. However, it seems that I am missing some information. Specifically, I assumed the angle between shafts is 45 degrees in each situation. What Am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. To accurately solve for the angular velocity of the driven shaft, we need to know the angle between the cardan joints and the length of the driven shaft. This information is necessary because the angle between the cardan joints will affect the output shaft rotation angle and therefore the angular velocity of the driven shaft.

To find the angle between the cardan joints, we can use the Law of Cosines. This states that c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab*cos(C), where c is the length of the driven shaft, a and b are the lengths of the two shafts connected by the cardan joints, and C is the angle between the cardan joints. Once we have this angle, we can then use the equation you provided to solve for the angular velocity of the driven shaft.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a double cardan joint?

A double cardan joint is a type of universal joint used in mechanical systems to transmit torque and rotation. It consists of two cross-shaped yokes connected by a center cross, allowing for smooth movement in multiple directions.

2. What are the advantages of using a double cardan joint?

Double cardan joints have a higher torque capacity and better flexibility compared to other types of universal joints. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance.

3. In what applications are double cardan joints commonly used?

Double cardan joints are commonly used in automotive drive shafts, industrial machinery, and agricultural equipment. They are also used in robotics and aerospace applications.

4. How do you calculate the angle of rotation in a double cardan joint?

The angle of rotation in a double cardan joint can be calculated using the Law of Cosines. This formula takes into account the length of each component and the angle between them to determine the total angle of rotation.

5. What are some common issues that can occur with a double cardan joint?

Some common issues with double cardan joints include wear and tear, misalignment, and lack of lubrication. These can lead to vibration, noise, and eventual failure if not addressed. Regular maintenance and proper installation can help prevent these issues.