1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral problem (pretty basic)

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    Good day, all:

We recently hit double/triple integrals in my multivariable calculus course and I have found that my integration abilities are, well, *beyond* rusty ... and so the problem below, which is one of the very first on my current problem set, has me stumped.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int\int_{R}\frac{x}{1+xy} dA[/itex] R = { [0,1]x[0,1] = {(x,y): 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] x [itex]\leq[/itex]1, 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] y [itex]\leq[/itex]1 }

3. The attempt at a solution

My first and nearly only step was to turn this into an iterated integral:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}\frac{x}{1+xy} dx dy[/itex]

... and this is where I begin to choke and sputter. I have started to try u-substitution on this with u = 1+xy, but didn't get anything that made sense to me; some hints I have found online seem to indicate that I should be able to perform "polynomial long division" to turn this into a sum or difference of two simpler integrals, but I guess I don't sufficiently understand polynomial long division to carry this out here.

Any hints would be much appreciated. I am considering dropping this course, but I would like to avoid that ... I need some serious integration mojo to be directly infused into my skull asap. :bugeye:

Regards,

Glenn

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    Did you try integrating with respect to y first?

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    No. I'll check it out and see what happens. Thank you.

EDIT: That was key, of course. Jeez. ::strikes forehead::

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook