Double integral transformation

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral over a region R bounded by various equations in the xy-plane. The focus is on finding a transformation equation to convert the equations to a u-v plane, and calculating the Jacobian using the transformation equations. The poster is unsure if their transformation equations are correct and is seeking help.
vampireyal

Homework Statement

evaluate the integral [tex]\int\int(x^4-y^4)e^{xy}dA[/tex]

where R is the region bounded by xy=1, xy=2, x2-y2=1, and x2-y2=4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first time on the forum, so forgive me if there are mistakes in this post. I am trying to find the transformation equations in order to convert the xy-plane equations to a uv-plane. Judging by the boundary equations, I let u=xy and v=x2-y2.

When I evaluate the xy equations using the transformation equations I get u=1, v=4, u=2, and v=1. which makes a square on the uv plane. I am not sure if I did this correctly though.

The next part of the problem asks to calculate the Jacobian, but I am not sure of how to calculate the partial derivatives based off my transformation equations. I can't seem to get x and y in terms of u and v, which makes me think that my transformation equations are wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is 'SUP' supposed to stand for exactly? I'm assuming it's a mistake when you typed your formula...

oh...that's funny that did that...it's just supposed to be superscripted...so int int (x^4-y^4)e^xy dA

Don't use "sup" inside LaTex. Use "^" instead.

1. What is a double integral transformation?

A double integral transformation is a mathematical operation that involves evaluating the area between two functions in two dimensions. It is represented by two integrals and is used to find the cumulative effect of two variables on a given system.

2. What is the purpose of using a double integral transformation?

The purpose of using a double integral transformation is to simplify complex mathematical operations by representing the effect of two variables as a single operation. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to analyze systems with multiple variables.

3. How is a double integral transformation performed?

To perform a double integral transformation, the two functions are first plotted on a graph. The area between the two functions is then divided into small rectangles, and the sum of these rectangles is calculated using the double integral formula. This sum represents the cumulative effect of the two variables on the system.

4. What are some common applications of double integral transformation?

Double integral transformation is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force on an object, in economics to calculate total revenue, and in statistics to calculate the probability of a given event. It is also used in image processing to enhance and manipulate images.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integral transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using double integral transformation. It is not applicable to all types of functions, and the accuracy of the results depends on the size of the rectangles used in the calculation. Additionally, it is not suitable for solving complex systems with a large number of variables.