Double majors, undergrad research, best college worth it?

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a BS in electrical engineering and has scholarships that cover four years of education. They are considering pursuing another degree, such as computer science or math, but this would delay their transition to graduate school and require them to pay for some of the education. They are also discussing the possibility of undergraduate research with a professor and wondering if this would be beneficial for graduate school or job prospects. Lastly, they are debating whether it is worth incurring significant debt to attend a more prestigious university for their masters and PhD programs.
xcvxcvvc
I have several questions. I'm working to earn a BS in electrical engineering, and I will finish before four years. Now, I have scholarships that pay for my education for four years.

1.) Should I pursue another degree to use the free education? It'd delay my transition to graduate school, and I'd need to pay for some of the education, meaning it's not completely free. I'd have about two semesters of free schooling and be left to pay the rest. I'm going to a mediocre, local university, so the cost would be only about 5k per semester afterward. If so, which degree should I choose? I was looking at either computer science or math.

2.) I'm talking with one of my professors about undergraduate research. Is that a good idea? Do graduate schools or businesses pay attention to this research when considering candidates?

3.) I'd like to earn my masters and maybe my PhD from the best college possible. Is it worth the enormous price increase (relative to my current school) to earn a degree at a more recognizable name (assuming I can even get into a better school. Currently, I have a 4.0, am studying for the GRE, and have prospects of undergraduate research)? On my current track, I'll have a masters without any debt. Leaving the state to attend the best name that accepts me would probably accrue tens of thousands in debt and leave me feeling homesick at least momentarily.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only speak to your second question, and from a physics major's perspective rather than EE. That being said I know that research is a huge part of getting admitted to a graduate school (at least in physics). Some would say its the most important factor actually. So yes -- start as early as you can with it and take it seriously. Try to get as much work done in your research as possible if you are aiming for graduate school. The more you can show off what you've done, the better chance you'll have at getting into the program you want.

1. What is a double major?

A double major is an undergraduate degree program where a student chooses two majors and fulfills the requirements for both. This allows students to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in two different areas of study.

2. Is it possible to double major in two unrelated fields?

Yes, it is possible to double major in two unrelated fields. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load to fulfill the requirements for both majors.

3. What is undergraduate research?

Undergraduate research refers to the opportunity for students to participate in research projects with faculty members or graduate students at their university. This allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How can undergraduate research benefit me?

Undergraduate research can benefit you in several ways. It can enhance your resume, provide valuable skills and experience, and potentially lead to publications or presentations. It can also help you build relationships with faculty members and prepare you for graduate school or a career in research.

5. Is attending a top-ranked college worth the cost?

The value of attending a top-ranked college depends on your individual goals and circumstances. While top-ranked colleges may offer more resources and opportunities, it is important to consider the cost and whether it aligns with your career goals. It is also important to consider the quality of education and resources at other colleges that may be more affordable.