What is the final rotational speed of the double rotating disks?

• Thread starter Trentonx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, the problem involves two disks, one initially rotating and the other dropped on top of it, with frictional forces acting to bring them to a common rotational speed. The final rotational speed can be found using the conservation of momentum, as energy is not conserved due to friction.
Trentonx

Homework Statement

A disk of mass M1 = 350 g and radius R1 = 10 cm rotates about its symmetry axis at f_initial = 152 rpm. A second disk of mass M2 = 258 g and radius R2 = 5 cm, initially not rotating, is dropped on top of the first. Frictional forces act to bring the two disks to a common rotational speed f_final.
a) What is f_final? Please give your answer in units of rpm, but do not enter the units

Homework Equations

T = I*a
I = (m*r2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the moment of inertia of M1
I = (.5)(.35)(.12) = .00175 kg*m2
M2
I = (.5)(.258)(.052) = .0003225 kg*m2
I found the angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex]
152rpm = 304pi rads/min = 5.06pi rads/sec
I don't suppose that I can just consider the mass to have just increased can I, because it specifies friction. I know some numbers, but how to put them together?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that energy is not conserved because friction is acting and heat is being generated. However, something else is being conserved. What is it?

L = I*w and Li = Lf
Momentum would be conserved because the net torques act internally to the system. I get it, thanks for the hint.

1. What are double rotating disks?

Double rotating disks refer to two circular disks that are connected and can rotate in opposite directions.

2. How do double rotating disks work?

The two disks are connected by a central axle and can rotate independently of each other. One disk can rotate clockwise while the other rotates counterclockwise.

3. What is the purpose of double rotating disks?

Double rotating disks are often used in mechanical systems to transmit power, change the direction of rotation, or to create a specific motion.

4. Can double rotating disks rotate at different speeds?

Yes, the two disks can rotate at different speeds depending on the mechanical system and how it is designed. One disk may rotate faster than the other or they may rotate at equal speeds.

5. What are the advantages of using double rotating disks?

The use of double rotating disks allows for more flexibility and control in mechanical systems. It also allows for more complex motions to be created, such as oscillations or variable speeds.