Double slit and colored wavelength

In summary, the distance between the first-order violet and first-order red fringes is 1.814 mm. This was found by using the equations sin(theta) = m*lambda/d and x = L*tan(theta) to calculate the values of theta and x for both red light (lambda = 700 nm) and violet light (lambda = 400 nm), and then finding the difference between the x values and converting to mm.
Kris1120

Homework Statement

White light spans the wavelength range be-
tween about 400 nm and 700 nm.
If white light passes through two slits
0.656 mm apart and falls on a screen 1.7 m
from the slits, what is the distance between
the first-order violet and the first-order red
fringes?
Answer in units of mm.

Homework Equations

sin(theta) = m*lambda / d

x = L*tan(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to solve for theta for both red light (lambda = 700 nm) which gave theta = .061139 and violet light (lambda = 400 nm) which gave theta = .034936. I used the second equation to plug in theta and solve for x for each of them. I then subtracted the x value of violet from the x value for red and converted to mm. My final answer was 6.781 mm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kris1120,

Kris1120 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to solve for theta for both red light (lambda = 700 nm) which gave theta = .061139 and violet light (lambda = 400 nm) which gave theta = .034936. I used the second equation to plug in theta and solve for x for each of them. I then subtracted the x value of violet from the x value for red and converted to mm. My final answer was 6.781 mm.

Can you show the steps in how you got 6.781mm? That does not look right to me.

theta(red) = inverse sin (700 e-9 m / .656 e-3m) = .061139 degrees
x=tan(.061139)*1.7m = .007818

theta(violet)= inverse sin (400 e-9 m / .656 e-3 m) = .034936 degrees
x=tan(.034936)*1.7m = .001037

.007818 - .001037 = .006781 m = 6.781 mm

Kris1120 said:
theta(red) = inverse sin (700 e-9 m / .656 e-3m) = .061139 degrees
x=tan(.061139)*1.7m = .007818

I'm getting 0.001814 for this. Would you check it again?

yes! I hate when I do silly things like that! Thank you for correcting me!

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits onto a screen, which results in an interference pattern of light and dark bands. This phenomenon can also be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to colored wavelengths?

The double slit experiment can also be used to study the properties of colored wavelengths of light. When white light is shined through the slits, the resulting interference pattern will contain all the colors of the visible spectrum. This is because each color has a different wavelength, and the slits act as a diffraction grating, separating the colors and creating distinct interference patterns for each one.

3. Why do different colored wavelengths produce different interference patterns in the double slit experiment?

The reason for this is due to the wave-particle duality of light. While light is typically thought of as a wave, it also exhibits particle-like behavior. The different colored wavelengths of light have different energies, which affects how they behave when passing through the slits and interacting with each other. This results in unique interference patterns for each color.

4. Can the double slit experiment be used to measure the wavelength of light?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be used to measure the wavelength of light by measuring the distance between the interference fringes on the screen. This distance can then be used in calculations to determine the wavelength of the light source. This method is commonly used in physics labs to measure the wavelength of laser light.

5. What other applications does the double slit experiment have?

The double slit experiment has applications in various fields, such as optics, quantum mechanics, and even biology. In optics, it is used to study the diffraction of light and the properties of lenses. In quantum mechanics, it is used to study the wave-particle duality of matter and to demonstrate the concept of superposition. In biology, it has been used to study the behavior of electrons in photosynthesis. Overall, the double slit experiment is a versatile and important tool in understanding the behavior of waves and particles.