Double slit experiment wave collapse

In summary, the conversation discusses the double slit experiment on wave particle duality of photons. It is known that the wave function collapses and the photon behaves like a particle when observed. The question is whether placing a second double slit behind the detector would result in interference or clumping, indicating whether the particle regains its wave function or remains a particle. However, the person posing the question has a misunderstanding, as the experiment will always show diffraction when the path of the particle is determined. The source of the particles is also not important in the experiment, as long as they have identical properties.
Mkwglyg
I would like to ask this question.
In the double slit experiment on wave particle duality of photon, we know that the wave function collapses and the photon behave like a particle whenever we peek.
Has anyone ever placed a second double slit behind the detector to see whether a particle regain its wave function ? Or the particle remains a particle ?
What i meant is this :
Single photon ... go through double slit... peek...wave collapse... we get clump on detector ... create a hole on detector... photon go through double slit again behind the detector.. this time no peek ... on the detector, do we get interference or clump ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mkwglyg said:
I would like to ask this question.
In the double slit experiment on wave particle duality of photon, we know that the wave function collapses and the photon behave like a particle whenever we peek.
Has anyone ever placed a second double slit behind the detector to see whether a particle regain its wave function ? Or the particle remains a particle ?
What i meant is this :
Single photon ... go through double slit... peek...wave collapse... we get clump on detector ... create a hole on detector... photon go through double slit again behind the detector.. this time no peek ... on the detector, do we get interference or clump ?

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding here.

When you are able to determine which-way the quantum particle (i.e. photon, electron, neutron, buckyball, etc.) goes through, then it is the superposition of paths that has been "collapsed", or determined. Then, the pattern on your screen will be the same pattern that you get with a single-slit diffraction.

If you add another set of double-slit AFTER that, then the original experiment remains intact, i.e. the quantum particle once again will have a superposition of paths UNTIL you make a determination which one it will go through. Then what I wrote above gets repeated.

Notice that in the whole setup, you know nothing about the source. All you care about is that quantum particle with identical properties are hitting your setup. Yet, I could have easily generated electrons or photons that came out of some interferometer, and I've selected the ones with the right, single frequency to send to your setup. In other words, your whole setup would be using something that came out of some interference setup already. And this will not be highly unusual, because we do this at synchrotron facilities all over the world. It is how we select the single frequency of light coming from undulators/wigglers placed in the synchrotron rings.

Zz.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the double slit experiment and why is it important?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of particles and has implications for the field of quantum mechanics.

2. What is wave collapse and how does it relate to the double slit experiment?

Wave collapse, also known as the collapse of the wave function, is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle's wave-like behavior collapses into a single location when it is observed or measured. In the double slit experiment, the act of observing the particles or photons passing through the slits causes the interference pattern to disappear, indicating that the particles have collapsed into a single location.

3. What is the role of the observer in the double slit experiment?

The observer plays a crucial role in the double slit experiment as their act of observing or measuring the particles causes the wave function to collapse. This is known as the observer effect and highlights the strange nature of quantum mechanics, where the act of observation can alter the behavior of particles.

4. Can the double slit experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the double slit experiment cannot be fully explained by classical physics. The interference pattern observed in the experiment is a characteristic of wave-like behavior, which cannot be explained by classical physics. This experiment is one of the key pieces of evidence that led to the development of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the double slit experiment relate to the uncertainty principle?

The double slit experiment is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. In the double slit experiment, the act of observing the particles changes their behavior, making it impossible to accurately measure both their position and momentum. This is because the observer's measurement affects the particles' momentum, causing the interference pattern to disappear.