Double-slit quantum eraser: measured patterns on screen

In summary, the double-slit quantum eraser experiment conducted by Walborn et al. shows that the overall pattern formed by signal photons on the screen behind the double slits remains the same regardless of whether which-path information is available or destroyed. This is represented by a plot of "N Vs X" that resembles a scaled up Gaussian. When the which-path information is destroyed, the net pattern is the sum of two offset interference patterns, one for the idler collapsed to |+\rangle polarization and one for |-\rangle polarization. However, when the which-path information is accessible, no such interference patterns occur and it is considered a coincidence that the net pattern remains the same. Some have questioned whether this is truly just a coincidence or if there
msumm21
Consider a double-slit quantum eraser experiment such as the one by Walborn et al (http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0106078). The overall pattern formed by the signal photons on the screen behind the double slits is the same regardless of whether which-path information is available or destroyed (plot of "N Vs X" looks something like a scaled up Gaussian). In the case that the which-path information is destroyed, the verified explanation is that the net pattern is the sum of two offset interference patterns (one when the idler collapsed to [itex]|+\rangle [/itex] polarization in the Walborn case, and one for [itex]|-\rangle [/itex]). In the case the which path information is accessible, no such interference patterns occur and as far as I know it is a coincidence that the math works out such that the net pattern is the same.

Is it really just a coincidence that these patterns are the same? I'm assuming there is an explanation of these experiments which makes this result fall out automatically (something better than just "it has to be that way to preserve causality"), right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm struggling to accept this as a mere coincidence. The total net pattern that appears on the screen is always the same, call it P. In one series of experiments the polarizer POL1 is absent and hence which-path information is available giving two patterns G1 (for the photons that pass through slit1) and G2 (for slit2). P = (G1+G2)/2. This at first seems fine. Then the experiment is repeated passing the idlers though a polarizer POL1 and the idlers passing through POL1 (at the fast axis of QWP1) correspond to signalers that make an interference pattern called "I1." Similarly, those that pass through POL1 at the fast axis of QWP2 make a different interference pattern "I2." But now the fact that G1+G2=I1+I2 seems amazing to me because I don't see any physics here that should enforce that. I realize that, if it's not true then causality would seemingly fail, but I don't know what the mechanism is here for enforcing this. Anyone else puzzled by this? Anyone find a way to accept it?

What is the double-slit quantum eraser?

The double-slit quantum eraser is a thought experiment and experimental setup that demonstrates the bizarre nature of quantum mechanics. It involves passing particles, such as photons, through two slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. However, by adding a measuring device to determine which slit the particles pass through, the interference pattern disappears and the particles behave like individual particles rather than waves.

What is the significance of the measured patterns on the screen?

The measured patterns on the screen demonstrate the principle of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. Quantum particles, such as photons, exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior depending on how they are observed or measured. The interference pattern on the screen represents the wave-like behavior, while the absence of the pattern when the particles are measured represents the particle-like behavior.

How does the double-slit quantum eraser work?

The double-slit quantum eraser works by using a beam splitter to split a light source into two paths, each with a slit. The two paths then recombine and the resulting interference pattern is observed on a screen. By adding a measuring device to determine which path the particles pass through, the interference pattern disappears and the particles behave like individual particles rather than waves.

What are the implications of the double-slit quantum eraser?

The double-slit quantum eraser has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It challenges our classical, deterministic view of the world and shows that at the microscopic level, things behave very differently from what we observe in our everyday lives. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness and observation in shaping reality.

How is the double-slit quantum eraser relevant to real-world applications?

While the double-slit quantum eraser is primarily a thought experiment and demonstration of quantum mechanics principles, it also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. The principles demonstrated by the double-slit quantum eraser are also crucial for understanding and developing technologies that rely on quantum properties, such as superposition and entanglement.