1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts whether my integral is right

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    Hi, can someone please quickly help me check if I've made a correct attempt at the following question. I'm having doubts whether my integral is right or not because I tried integrating it and applying the limits, but I didn't get the given answer 15/8. Can someone help? thank you!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/mathsnerd/84c1d9ff.jpg

I've not included my diagram but I found to limits to be 1 < u < 2 and 1 < v < 2 .

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2
    What is R? What is the power of y in the original integrand?

4. Dec 5, 2005 #3
    oops sorry I forgot to mention that part of the question.

R is the region in the first quadrant bounded by xy=1, xy=2, y=x and y=2x.
    The power of y is 2 (same for x)

5. Dec 5, 2005 #4
    Why did you change variables? There exist a nice symmetry in the Region R which would make the integral easily solved after breaking the region into two.

6. Dec 5, 2005 #5
    Just looking at your Jacobian: You calculated J(u,v)/J(x,y) correctly, but unfortunately you want/need J(x,y)/J(u,v). You have int(int(f(x,y))dA. The change of coordiantes given by x=g_1(u,v) and y=g_2(u,v) is a mapping from the domain, U<R2, of f(x,y), to a new domain, V<R2. But you were given the change of coordiantes u=xy, v=y/x or u=h_1(x,y) v=h_2(x,y), which is a mapping from the domain V of f(x,y) to U. The maps are of course inverses, however in order to calculate your integral using the change of coordiantes given implicity, you must first solve for x and y to find the transformation from U to V. You did this to calculate what x^2+2y^2 was, but then you used the Jacobian for the other C.O.C. So you transformed x and y to u and v, but then used the Jacobian for the transformation from u and v to x and y. Find J(x,y)/J(u,v) and then carry out the integration.

7. Dec 5, 2005 #6
    It was a surprise to me that your substitution at the end of the determinant ameliorated any confusion whether to use J(u,v)/J(x,y) or J(x,y)/J(u,v). Sorry! Your integral is good and your limits of integration in terms of u and v are good. You must have made a mistake in calculation 'cuz I get 15/8 also.

8. Dec 5, 2005 #7
    haha sorry for confusing you!! Thanks very much for the advice and yes I think I did make a mess of the integration which was why i couldn't get 15/8 but I've got it nows :biggrin: thnks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?