Downward, find airtime, velocity

• Thread starter bigman8424
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind a water balloon being thrown down at a velocity of 15m/s and landing 25m below. The equation y = y(i) + v(i)sint + 1/2gt2 is used to calculate the air time and velocity at impact, but the individual being addressed suggests understanding the physics before plugging in numbers. The conversation also mentions solving an equation to find the time when air time ends and clarifies that the acceleration due to gravity should be positive as the balloon is thrown downwards.
bigman8424
water balloon thrown down at 15m/s to ground 25 m below, what is air time and velocity at impact
y = y(i) + v(i)sint + 1/2gt2
y = 25 + 15sin(90)t + 1/2(-9.8)t2 ? ?

Physics news on Phys.org
dude, try to understand the physics before pluging in numbers into a meaningless equation...read the book first...

1. What does "air time" MEAN?
2. More specifically, what ends the "air time"?
3. What is y when the "air time" ends?
4. No, not "y = y(i) + v(i)sint + 1/2gt2 "
5. Do you know what sin(90) is?

6. You need to solve an equation to find the time t when "air time" ends.

first of all, g is not -9.8. you throw it downwards, not upwards

1. How do you calculate downward velocity?

To calculate downward velocity, you need to know the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity. The formula for downward velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is airtime in physics?

In physics, airtime refers to the amount of time an object spends in the air while in motion. It is typically measured from the moment the object leaves the ground until it touches the ground again.

3. How does airtime affect velocity?

Airtime does not directly affect velocity. However, the longer an object spends in the air, the farther it can travel, which may result in a change in velocity. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the velocity of an object during its airtime.

4. How can downward velocity be used to find airtime?

To find airtime using downward velocity, you can use the formula t = (v-u)/a, where t is the time, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. This formula assumes that the object starts and ends at ground level.

5. Can airtime be negative?

No, airtime cannot be negative. It is a measure of time, which is always positive. However, the velocity during airtime can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.