Can Excel Handle Dragging Formulas for 64K Rows?

In summary, to drag a formula in Excel, click and hold on the cell containing the formula, then drag the small square in the bottom right corner to the desired cells. You can also drag a formula to non-adjacent cells and different sheets in Excel. To copy a formula without changing the cell references, use the "Fill Without Formatting" option. When dragging a formula across multiple worksheets, double check the cell references.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now that excel handles 64K of rows it is becoming a pain dragging a formula to fill in that many rows.
Is there a way of selecting a range and having the formula drag apply to that range?

Computer science news on Phys.org
copy the formula, then highlight the cells/rows you want then paste. You shouldn't have to drag.

Thanks, that was obvious - I hadn't tried it because I was thinking of ranges where you have to drag to automatically increment the range.

Related to Can Excel Handle Dragging Formulas for 64K Rows?

1. How do I drag a formula in Excel?

To drag a formula in Excel, simply click and hold on the cell containing the formula, then drag the small square in the bottom right corner to the desired cells. Release the mouse button and the formula will automatically adjust to the new cell references.

2. Can I drag a formula to non-adjacent cells in Excel?

Yes, you can drag a formula to non-adjacent cells in Excel. Simply select the cells you want to include in the formula, then click and drag the small square in the bottom right corner of the cell containing the formula.

3. What happens if I drag a formula across multiple worksheets in Excel?

If you drag a formula across multiple worksheets in Excel, the formula will adjust to the corresponding cell references on each worksheet. Make sure to double check the cell references to ensure they are correct for each worksheet.

4. How do I copy a formula without changing the cell references in Excel?

To copy a formula without changing the cell references in Excel, you can use the "Fill Without Formatting" option. Simply select the cell containing the formula, then click and drag the small square in the bottom right corner while holding down the "Ctrl" key.

5. Can I drag a formula to a different sheet in Excel?

Yes, you can drag a formula to a different sheet in Excel. Make sure to select the correct sheet before dragging the formula to the desired cell. You can also use the sheet name in the cell references to ensure the formula is referencing the correct cells.