Drawing a Force-Time Curve for a Changing Force and Calculating Final Momentum

In summary, a 1.0kg body initially traveling in the positive x-direction at 10m/s experiences a 20N force in that same direction for 2 seconds, followed by a 2.0N force in the negative direction for 20 seconds. A force-time graph can be drawn with a horizontal line at 20N for the first 2 seconds, followed by a vertical line at t=2 seconds, and then a horizontal line at 2.0N for the remaining 20 seconds. The final momentum can be determined by calculating the area under the curve, which would be equal to the body's final momentum.
gold123456th
A 1.0kg body initially traveling in the positive x-direction at 10m/s is acted upon for 2.0s by a force in that same direction of 20N. It then experiences a force acting in the negative direction for 20s equal to 2.0N. Draw a force-time curve and determine the final momentum

Homework Equations

I drew the 20N curve and 2.0N curve in the same coordinate plan, but I don't know if I should connect them with a vertical line. If I do, then at t=2s, the force would be both 20N and 2.0N

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to draw the curve in one line without having your pencil leave the paper. (A continuous line)

Draw the curve after the first 2s then keeping your pencil on the paper, draw the curve for the next 20s, so you should end up with a domain of [0,22].

But then a vertical line would be drawn. Can vertical lines appear on a force-time graph? Then t= 2.0s would have a lot of forces.

Hmmm... I don't think it makes much of a difference as to whether you draw the line or not.

The question states that there is a 20N force for exactly 2 seconds then IMMEDIATELY after there is a 2N force for 20s.

You could always draw your horizontal 20N line then have an exclusive point at 2s on both lines then continue on with your 2N line. Because the we don't really know what is happening exactly at 2 seconds.

What is a curve?

A curve is a continuous line that changes direction at every point. It can be in any shape, such as a circle, a wave, or a parabola.

Why do I need help drawing a curve?

Drawing a curve can be challenging because it requires precision and understanding of mathematical concepts such as slope and curvature. It may also involve using specific tools and techniques, depending on the type of curve you wish to draw.

What tools do I need to draw a curve?

The tools you need to draw a curve depend on the medium you are using. For hand-drawn curves, you may need a pencil, ruler, and compass. For digital curves, you may need a drawing tablet and software such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW.

How do I draw a curve by hand?

To draw a curve by hand, start by plotting a few points along the desired curve on a piece of paper. Then, using a ruler, connect the points with a smooth, curved line. You can also use a compass to draw more precise curves.

What is the importance of drawing curves in science?

Curves are essential in science because they can represent data and relationships between variables. They can also help visualize complex concepts and make predictions based on mathematical models. In fields such as physics and engineering, curves are used extensively to understand the behavior of natural phenomena and design solutions to real-world problems.