Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Drift' in strain gauges

  1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    when talking about strain gauges, what does 'drift' refer to exactly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Drift refers to a strain gauge's tendency to deviate from the actual reading due to variations in temperature. It is the main reason when selecting gauges for testing that they be as close to the parent material as possible.
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
  5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    Lost in PF

    Not sure if this is correct form but I have a question. I am building,(in the process of planning to build) a hovercraft. But not just a hovercraft, which is itself exciting enough, but one that uses very little horsepower to operate. I feel that I need a least a basic knowledge of wing shapes or contours, not sure the correct label, in order to design my device properly. This knowledge should link together Reynold's number with these shapes. Who can help me with this idea?
  6. Apr 21, 2008 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Normouse, you seem to have an off-centre idea of what a hovercraft is. If you're talking about wings, you probably have a WIGE (Wing In Ground Effect) vehicle in mind. That is a totally different animal.
    By the bye, this should be a separate thread, since it has nothing to do with the original post.
  7. Apr 21, 2008 #6
    New type of hovercraft

    Maybe this is the wrong thread but I know exactly what a hovercraft is. How do I get on the correct thread?
  8. Apr 21, 2008 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    You simply start a new thread under the appropriate sub-forum. If unsure, PM a mentor.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook