1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drift velocity and charging a capacitor.

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding where the charging time in a capacitor actually comes from. Is it possible to derive the [itex]\tau[/itex] of a capacitive circuit from the drift velocity of the electrons? Are charges literally moving from the conductors onto the metal plates of the capacitor?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2
    Yes, the drift velocity is quite slow but there are a lot of electrons in the "electron gas" of the metal conductor.

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3
    The charging time of capacitor depends on its energy absorption, which can be used directly to get the drift velocity. Looks like I answered my own question.

I was caught up in the notion that electrons never actually enter or leave a wire. I'm not sure how i reached that idea because obviously the dispersion region in a diode depends on how many excess charges are available to be shared across the junction.

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4
    Ya, I was thrown off by the shear number of electrons. I was also thinking too much about the individual Coulomb forces between each electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook