Driving Force of 1500 kg Car: 22600 N

  • Thread starter Thread starter moshrom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
moshrom
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A racing car of mass 1500 kg, is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2, is experiencing a lift force of 600 N [up], due to its streamlined shape, and grounding effects of 1000 N [down], due to air dams and spoilers. Find the driving force needed to keep the car going given that μk = 1.0.


Homework Equations


Friction=μ x normal force, Fnet=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


This is probably an easy problem. I've done everything else on my page, but this one just doesn't make sense for some reason. The question asks for 'the driving force to keep the car going.' I assumed this is the force required to counteract friction minus the force of acceleration... Though I'm probably wrong. The question is either poorly worded or I'm missing something. Why would a net downwards force affect anything?

The given answer is 22600 N. Thanks, all help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the text of the problem wants you to determine the driving force which is needed to accelerate the car at the rate of 5m/s^2, if the normal force is the resultant of gravity, lift and the grounding effects.

ehild