Stability of Droplet Climbing on a Needle with Varying Contact Angle

In summary, canthotaxis allows the contact angle to vary all the way to π-θ as more water is pushed out, and as more water is pushed out, the contact line moves up and the surface remains a sphere, but there is no one stable shape.
chingel
TL;DR Summary
Will a droplet forming at the end of the needle start climbing up the outer side of the needle to keep its contact angle? What shape will it form?
Let's say we are pushing water down a needle, the contact angle between the needle and the water is ##\mathrm{45°}##.
For simplicity let's assume there is no gravity.

As the water is initially moving down in the left image, the angle ##\theta=\mathrm{45°}## and the surface of the water is a part of a sphere with some fixed radius.

drop.png

When the water moves to the end of the needle, we have ##\varphi=\mathrm{315°}##. As we push more water out, ##\varphi## keeps decreasing and the surface should always be a part of a sphere (or flat when ##\varphi=\mathrm{270°}##).

I would think that the droplet volume grows until it reaches the contact angle with the outer side of the needle (i.e. ##\varphi=\mathrm{135°}## in the figure on the right), and then I think the liquid should start moving up the outer side of the needle, since the contact line will be pulled up to keep the contact angle?

Since there is only one specific radius for a sphere with the given contact angle all around the needle, it seems the surface can't stay a sphere, contain more water and keep the ##\mathrm{45°}## contact angle at the same time, so what will it do if we push more water out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[This question let's me use one of my favorite words...]

They way you structured the problem, the water will also wet the outer surface of the needle and so as the drop volume increases, the contact line will move and the droplet shape will be a sphere-ish shape (owing to gravitational deformation) until the mass of the drop can no longer be supported by the contact line tension, and a droplet will detach.

If, on the other hand, the contact line is pinned to the needle edge, canthotaxis (that's the word!) permits the contact angle to vary all the way to (IIRC) π-θ. The droplet shape is again sphere-ish.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman
Let's assume for simplicity that there is no gravity.

I understand that canthotaxis says that in the figure in the OP on the right ##\varphi## can be between 135 and 315 degrees and the contact line is pinned to the edge of the needle in the whole range. My question is what happens after that, when you push out even more water.

If the contact line moves up and the surface remains a sphere, then the water droplet minus the needle will contain less water, because the sphere radius is fixed by the contact angle condition and now more needle is inside the sphere, so the water volume outside the needle decreases.

I think this means that there will be no one stable shape? That some unknown amount of water will flow up the needle and form a separate wet spot on the outside needle wall and a droplet will remain at the end of the needle with a ##\varphi## at some value over 135 degrees.

1. How does a droplet climb up a needle?

A droplet climbs up a needle due to a phenomenon called surface tension. Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to stick together, creating a strong cohesive force. When a droplet is placed on a needle, the surface tension of the liquid pulls the droplet upward, allowing it to climb up the needle.

2. What factors affect a droplet's ability to climb up a needle?

Several factors can affect a droplet's ability to climb up a needle, including the surface tension of the liquid, the angle of the needle, and the size of the droplet. A higher surface tension and a smaller droplet size make it easier for the droplet to climb up the needle. A steeper angle of the needle can also help the droplet climb up faster.

3. Can any type of liquid climb up a needle?

No, not all liquids can climb up a needle. The liquid must have a high surface tension for this phenomenon to occur. Water, for example, has a high surface tension and can easily climb up a needle, while other liquids with lower surface tension, such as oil, may not be able to climb up a needle.

4. Why does a droplet sometimes stop climbing up a needle?

A droplet may stop climbing up a needle due to a decrease in surface tension. This can happen if the needle becomes wet or if the droplet evaporates, reducing the cohesive force between the liquid molecules. Additionally, if the angle of the needle becomes too steep, the droplet may not have enough surface area to support its weight and will stop climbing.

5. What applications does droplet climbing have in science and technology?

Droplet climbing has various applications in science and technology, such as in microfluidics, where tiny droplets are manipulated for laboratory experiments. It can also be used in the development of self-cleaning surfaces, as droplets can help remove dirt and debris from a surface as they climb. Additionally, this phenomenon has been studied for potential use in drug delivery systems and for creating new materials with unique properties.