Dropping a closed loop into a magbetic field

In summary: Since the current is the same at both ends, it means that there is an opposing force which keeps the closed loop from accelerating more than 10m/s^2.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

The closed loop is vertical and the magnetic field is a north and south pole such that the looped end faces the magnetic poles.

A multiple choice question answer stated that the closed loop will have a smaller acceleration than 10mls

^2 as it would experience an opposing force. But if I look at it closely, won't the 2 induced force cancel each other so it will accelerate at 10m/s^2?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My explanation goes like this: when it is dropped into the magnetic field, it experiences a change in magnetic flux linkage and thus there would be a current induced induced it. since there is a current flowing perpendicular to the magnetic field, by Fleming left hand rule there will be 2 forces acting on the closed loops at the two edges there are equal and opposite. Hence, this cancels out the force which allows the downwards acceleration to be still 10m/s^2.

Is there something wrong with my concept here? It seems correct to me though. I hope you guys can answer me as soon as possible cos tomorrow is my physics O level paper thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:

Homework Statement

The closed loop is vertical and the magnetic field is a north and south pole such that the looped end faces the magnetic poles.

A multiple choice question answer stated that the closed loop will have a smaller acceleration than 10mls

^2 as it would experience an opposing force. But if I look at it closely, won't the 2 induced force cancel each other so it will accelerate at 10m/s^2?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My explanation goes like this: when it is dropped into the magnetic field, it experiences a change in magnetic flux linkage and thus there would be a current induced induced it. since there is a current flowing perpendicular to the magnetic field, by Fleming left hand rule there will be 2 forces acting on the closed loops at the two edges there are equal and opposite. Hence, this cancels out the force which allows the downwards acceleration to be still 10m/s^2.

Is there something wrong with my concept here? It seems correct to me though. I hope you guys can answer me as soon as possible cos tomorrow is my physics O level paper thanks for the help!

do you have the answer since it's a MCQ?

Lenz's law?

bsbs said:
do you have the answer since it's a MCQ?

Lenz's law?

The answer is that the acceleration is less than 10m/s^2. But since they cancel out so shouldn't it be 10m/s^2?

Read about lenz's law about opposing induced force. It satisfied the answer and in actual fact, they do not cancel out.

bsbs said:
Read about lenz's law about opposing induced force. It satisfied the answer and in actual fact, they do not cancel out.

Why won't they cancel out? Since the current is the same at both ends?

What is a closed loop?

A closed loop is a conducting material, such as a wire or a coil, that forms a continuous path for electric current to flow through.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are present, created by moving electric charges or by magnetic materials.

How does dropping a closed loop into a magnetic field affect the loop?

When a closed loop is dropped into a magnetic field, the magnetic field exerts a force on the charges in the loop, causing them to move and inducing an electric current in the loop.

What is the direction of the induced current in a closed loop dropped into a magnetic field?

The direction of the induced current depends on the direction of the magnetic field and the motion of the loop. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm points in the direction of the motion.

What are some practical applications of dropping a closed loop into a magnetic field?

This phenomenon is the basis of electromagnetic induction, which is used in generators and transformers to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also used in devices such as electric motors, speakers, and magnetic levitation trains.