Dropping ball into spring (inelastic collision)

In summary: Your answer for the amplitude is wrong. Please post your corrected energy equation and subsequent...Amplitude is actually only equal to (x0 + x1).
Samei

Homework Statement

: [/B]I asked a question on this topic before, but I want to make sure I know the material well. So, I looked up another question similar to it (and a little more complex) to check my understanding.

Here is the practice problem: A board with mass M, when placed into a coil spring (with spring constant k), compresses the spring in a distance of x. A ball of mass m is dropped from rest onto the board from a height h. The ball sticks into the board.

What is the restoring force made by the spring?

Bonus: What is the amplitude made by the spring?

Homework Equations

:[/B] Conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, Fspring = -kx. vb, final2 = 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]I am given spring constant k, board mass M, ball mass m, and height h.
I noticed that the ball sticks into the board, so it is an inelastic collision. Conservation of energy cannot be applied, but conservation of momentum can.

At the instant the ball touches the board, m(vb, final) = (m + M)(v2b)
I can find vb, final by using the kinematic equation, vb, final2 = 2ad, with d = h and a = g since it is moving downwards. vb, final is √(2gh).

Then, (v2b) = (m*√(2gh))/(m + M))

After collision, I can now apply the conservation of energy.

But before that, I take note of how the board already tips the spring from equilibrium.
Mg = kx, x0 is the first compression due to the board alone. (Mg)/k = x0.

Now, for the energy. (0.5)(m+M)(v2b)2 = 0.5kx12 + (m+M)gx1
x1 is the compression of the spring due to the ball and the board.
Solving the quadratic gives me x1.

To find restoring force, Fspring = -k (x0 + x1)

For the bonus, amplitude is (0.5)((x0 + x1))

Is this right? Did I make errors along the way?
Thanks for all the help in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Samei said:
Now, for the energy. (0.5)(m+M)(v2b)2 = 0.5kx12 + (m+M)gx1
x1 is the compression of the spring due to the ball and the board.
Need to be careful here. What is the change in PE of the spring as the board descends by x1?

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
Need to be careful here. What is the change in PE of the spring as the board descends by x1?

The change in PE of the spring is 0.5kx12. But do you mean that it is supposed to be negative? That would make sense.

I have been reading some more examples, and I think I am going to do a minor revision.
I'm going to be more explicit, so any flaws in the logic can be corrected.

After impact of m and M, conservation of energy can be applied.
E1 = E2
KE1 + PE1 + SpringPE1 = KE2 + PE2 + SpringPE2

Substituting known values, I can now write this statement as
0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 + 0.5(k)(x0)2 = 0.5(m+M)(0)2 + (m+M)g(0) + 0.5(k)(x1)2

When the ball and the board compress the spring, the final velocity will be zero, and essentially as it goes downward x1, the "h" in PE2 will also be zero.

This will be simplified as 0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 + 0.5(k)(x0)2 = 0.5(k)(x1)2
0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + 0.5(k)(x0)2 = 0.5(k)(x1)2 - (m+M)gx1
0 = 0.5(k)(x1)2 - (m+M)gx1 - [0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + 0.5(k)(x0)2]

In here, x1 includes x0 right? Or is 0.5(k)(x1)2 really 0.5(k)(x1 + x0)2?
That quadratic looks even more complicated. Solving with only variables is going to be complex, unless it cancels somewhere. Are there other principles I may have missed?Also, for the bonus question: Amplitude is actually only equal to (x0 + x1).

Last edited:
Samei said:
The change in PE of the spring is 0.5kx12
No it isn't. What is the PE of the spring before the board hits it? What is the PE when at extension x0+x1?

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
No it isn't. What is the PE of the spring before the board hits it? What is the PE when at extension x0+x1?
Before the ball hits it, the board already has compressed it x0. So the SpringPE at that instant would be 0.5(k)(x0)2.
When it is extended, then it will be 0.5(k)(x0 + x1)2.

So, change in SpringPE is 0.5(k)(x0 + x1)2 - 0.5(k)(x0)2. This simplifies to:
0.5k((x0 + x1)2 - (x0)2)
0.5k((x12 + 2x0x1))

In here, all variables are known except for x1.

Last edited:
Samei said:
Before the ball hits it, the board already has compressed it x0. So the SpringPE at that instant would be 0.5(k)(x0)2.
When it is extended, then it will be 0.5(k)(x0 + x1)2.

So, change in SpringPE is 0.5(k)(x0 + x1)2 - 0.5(k)(x0)2. This simplifies to:
0.5k((x0 + x1)2 - (x0)2)
0.5k((x12 + 2x0x1))
Yes. Continuing with your preceding post...
Samei said:
This will be simplified as 0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 + 0.5(k)(x0)2 = 0.5(k)(x1)2
Here you correctly included the initial spring PE on the left, but you' ve only got the change in extension on the right.
What equation do you have now?

Your answer for the amplitude is wrong. Please post your corrected energy equation and subsequent working.

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
Here you correctly included the initial spring PE on the left, but you' ve only got the change in extension on the right.
What equation do you have now?

Your answer for the amplitude is wrong. Please post your corrected energy equation and subsequent working.

I thought I was so close. Wouldn't the amplitude be equal to the distance the spring is compressed? From -kd = FSpring?

Anyway, the new E1 = E2 will be as follows.

0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 + 0.5k(x0)2 = 0.5k((x12 + 2x0x1))
I am unsure how to solve for x1 here. My approach is to expand the equation first.
0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 + 0.5k(x0)2 = 0.5kx12 + kx0x1
0 = 0.5kx12 + kx0x1 - 0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 - (m+M)gx1 - 0.5k(x0)2
0 = 0.5kx12 + [kx0 - (m+M)g]x1 - 0.5[(m+M)(v2b)2 - k(x0)2]
So, this will be another quadratic. It looks very bad. :(

Substituting values from the initial post (#1),
0 = 0.5kx12 + [Mg - mg - Mg]x1 - 0.5m2[(2gh)/(m + M) - g2/k]

Last edited:
Samei said:
0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 + 0.5k(x0)2 = 0.5k((x12 + 2x0x1))
You're not being consistent over the spring PE. On the left you have the initial spring PE, on the right the increase in its PE.
Either delete the initial PE on the left or change the right hand side to be the final spring PE.
Samei said:
Wouldn't the amplitude be equal to the distance the spring is compressed?
The amplitude is the maximum displacement above and below the equilibrium position. Where is the equilibrium position?

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
You're not being consistent over the spring PE. On the left you have the initial spring PE, on the right the increase in its PE.
Either delete the initial PE on the left or change the right hand side to be the final spring PE.
Oh, ok. I will change it right now.
0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 = 0.5k((x12 + 2x0x1))
0.5(m+M)(v2b)2 + (m+M)gx1 = 0.5kx12 + kx0x1
0 = 0.5kx12 + [kx0 - (m+M)g]x1 - 0.5(m+M)(v2b)2

Again, I will be using substitutions which I solved for from initial post (#1),
0 = 0.5kx12 + [Mg - mg - Mg]x1 - 0.5(2m2gh)/(m + M)
0 = 0.5kx12 + [- mg]x1 - (m2gh)/(m + M)

Slightly simpler, but still a complex quadratic for x1.

With my calculations, this quadratic simplifies to [mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ]/k
So, x1 = [mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ]/k

If this is correct, then restoring force would be k*[mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ]/k, which cancels out the k.
This means that restoring force is [mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ].

haruspex said:
The amplitude is the maximum displacement above and below the equilibrium position. Where is the equilibrium position?
The equilibrium position is without m or M. It is the "zero" position and (x1 + x0) is the displacement going down or up. My thoughts were that at half an oscillation, the compression would represent the peak on a sinusoidal graph.

Here is my new attempt for the bonus: 2(x1 + x0)
Amplitude = 2[mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ]/k + Mg/k
So amplitude is 2(Mg + [mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ]) /k

Last edited:
Samei said:
With my calculations, this quadratic simplifies to [mg ± m √(g(1-2h)/(m+M)) ]/k
1-2h makes no sense. It's dimensionally wrong. What would happen if h > .5 (in whatever units!)?
Your quadratic was dimensionally ok, so the error must be in solving it.
Samei said:
The equilibrium position is without m or M.
No, that's the spring's relaxed position. The equilibrium position for the oscillation is where M+m could sit at rest and not oscillate.

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
1-2h makes no sense. It's dimensionally wrong. What would happen if h > .5 (in whatever units!)?
Your quadratic was dimensionally ok, so the error must be in solving it.

I'll look at it again. I may have miscalculated or made a mistake on understanding my own handwriting (happens often).

haruspex said:
No, that's the spring's relaxed position. The equilibrium position for the oscillation is where M+m could sit at rest and not oscillate.

The equilibrium position is then when kxe = (m+M)g
and xe is the distance from the zero position.
So, amplitude is then x1 + x0 - xe

Samei said:
The equilibrium position is then when kxe = (m+M)g
and xe is the distance from the zero position.
So, amplitude is then x1 + x0 - xe
Yes.

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
Yes.
I'll look over everything again just to make sure.
Alright! Now, I think I have improved on this topic. Thanks again, haruspex! :smile:

haruspex said:
Yes.
Actually, I have one more question about the amplitude of this problem if I can. I looked up other ways to find amplitude and I saw how most strategies were to use angular frequency and maximum velocity. Is this solution different?

It seems simple enough. But I am not sure if it is a shortcut, at least that I can apply here, maybe?

Samei said:
Actually, I have one more question about the amplitude of this problem if I can. I looked up other ways to find amplitude and I saw how most strategies were to use angular frequency and maximum velocity. Is this solution different?

It seems simple enough. But I am not sure if it is a shortcut, at least that I can apply here, maybe?
Both methods work. Which is simpler depends on what facts you start with.

Likes Samei
haruspex said:
Both methods work. Which is simpler depends on what facts you start with.

Oh, ok. In this case, relating restoring force with amplitude is easier done the original way.
My class has not discussed that chapter yet though, so I may have to stick with the original.

Again, thanks a lot! I appreciate the help!

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total energy of the system decreases after the collision.

What happens when a ball is dropped into a spring?

When a ball is dropped into a spring, it will compress the spring and come to a stop. This is an example of an inelastic collision, as the kinetic energy of the ball is transferred to the spring, causing it to deform.

How does the mass of the ball affect the spring's compression?

The mass of the ball has a direct impact on the spring's compression. A heavier ball will cause a greater amount of compression in the spring compared to a lighter ball, as it has more kinetic energy to transfer to the spring.

What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision depends on various factors, such as the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the materials and surfaces of the objects, and any external forces acting on the objects during the collision.

Can the energy lost in an inelastic collision be calculated?

Yes, the energy lost in an inelastic collision can be calculated by using the principle of conservation of energy. This states that the total energy before and after the collision must be equal, and any difference in energy is the energy lost during the collision.