Calculating Linear and Angular Motion in a Drum and Cable System

In summary: Hi ebony did you manage to complete this..I have the same question and don't know where to begin the response you are asking about I assume is the answer to part a and b...Hi,I am just wondering if somebody can help me with this question also. I have been given it, but the time to descend is unknown. I have the other values, with the distance travelled, mass, initial velocity of 0m/s, and the drum diameter. It says to assume constant acceleration, but I am unsure where to start.Thank you in advance!Hello,I had the same problem and it turns out at the end of the paper there is a table with related values in
Ebony
Moved from a technical forum, no template.
Hi, I'm studying a hnc in mechanical engineering.
One of the maths problems I have been given involves a drum and cable. It states the diameter(0.8m), mass (3kg), initial velocity (0m/s), time to descend (0.5secs) and distance traveled (0.25m)

I need to find:
A)final linear velocity of the load
B) linear acceleration of the load
C) final angular velocity of the drum
D) angular acceleration of the drum
E) tension force of the cable
F) torque applied to the drum.

So far, I've got linear and normal velocity and acceleration wrapped around my head. I did a problem similar to this last year with a mass on either side of the pulley, but I'm struggling on how to change that to only having one mass to calculate.

Am I right in thinking V= u+at
V= 0+(2×0.5)
V=1m/s

A=2s/t(squared)- 2u/t
A= 2m/s (squared)?

Like I said, I'm just a little confused as to whether I'm using the correct formulas to find the basics before I start doing the rest of the question.

Thanks in advance for any guidance! :)
20181016_104422.jpeg

Attachments

• 20181016_104422.jpeg
    20181016_104422.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,475
Physics news on Phys.org
Ebony said:
V= 0+(2×0.5)
V=1m/s

A=2s/t(squared)- 2u/t
A= 2m/s (squared)?
Looks fine.

Ebony said:
I did a problem similar to this last year with a mass on either side of the pulley, but I'm struggling on how to change that to only having one mass to calculate.

Hint. This problem is actually easier than last years due to the amount of information provided about how it moves.

Ebony said:
Hi, I'm studying a hnc in mechanical engineering.
One of the maths problems I have been given involves a drum and cable. It states the diameter(0.8m), mass (3kg), initial velocity (0m/s), time to descend (0.5secs) and distance traveled (0.25m)

I need to find:
A)final linear velocity of the load
B) linear acceleration of the load
C) final angular velocity of the drum
D) angular acceleration of the drum
E) tension force of the cable
F) torque applied to the drum.

So far, I've got linear and normal velocity and acceleration wrapped around my head. I did a problem similar to this last year with a mass on either side of the pulley, but I'm struggling on how to change that to only having one mass to calculate.

V= 0+(2×0.5)
V=1m/s

A=2s/t(squared)- 2u/t
A= 2m/s (squared)?

Like I said, I'm just a little confused as to whether I'm using the correct formulas to find the basics before I start doing the rest of the question.

Thanks in advance for any guidance! :) View attachment 232243
Hi ebony did you manage to complete this..I have the same question and don't know where to begin the response you are asking about I assume is the answer to part a and b...

Hi,

I am just wondering if somebody can help me with this question also. I have been given it, but the time to descend is unknown. I have the other values, with the distance travelled, mass, initial velocity of 0m/s, and the drum diameter. It says to assume constant acceleration, but I am unsure where to start.

Thank you in advance!

Hharl said:
Hi,

I am just wondering if somebody can help me with this question also. I have been given it, but the time to descend is unknown. I have the other values, with the distance travelled, mass, initial velocity of 0m/s, and the drum diameter. It says to assume constant acceleration, but I am unsure where to start.

Thank you in advance!
:welcome:

It might be best to start a new thread. In any case, you need to show us your own best attempt. See the homework guidelines:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Hharl said:
Hi,

Thank you in advance!
Hello, i had the same problem and it turns out at the end of the paper there is a table with related values in so have a look at the end of the paper and see if you have the same table.

i.e. My assignment says "A" secs and all I have is Mass, diameter of the drum and initial velocity.
The table at the end of the paper states value for a is 1.96.

My lecturer said the purpose of this was in previous years all students have been given different values to prevent them from copying each other directly. This year we all have the same values he just hasn't done away with the table.

What is the "Drum and cable problem"?

The "Drum and cable problem" is a mathematical and engineering problem that involves determining the optimal way to wrap a cable around a cylindrical drum without causing the cable to slip or become tangled.

What is the significance of the "Drum and cable problem"?

The "Drum and cable problem" has practical applications in various industries, such as cable manufacturing, conveyor belt systems, and crane operations. Solving this problem can help improve efficiency and safety in these industries.

What factors affect the solution to the "Drum and cable problem"?

The solution to the "Drum and cable problem" depends on several factors, including the diameter and length of the drum, the thickness and flexibility of the cable, and the tension applied to the cable.

What are some common approaches to solving the "Drum and cable problem"?

Some common approaches to solving the "Drum and cable problem" include using mathematical models, conducting experiments, and using computer simulations. Each approach has its own advantages and limitations.

Are there any real-life examples of the "Drum and cable problem"?

Yes, the "Drum and cable problem" can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as the winding of cables on spools, the wrapping of cables around pulleys, and the coiling of ropes on winches. It can also be applied to more complex systems, such as the winding of DNA molecules around histone proteins.