Dual Masters in Math and Computer science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a PhD in discrete mathematics and their concerns about their undergraduate GPA. They mention their background in programming and combinatorics and ask for recommendations on schools in the U.S. that offer programs in these areas. Georgia Tech is suggested as a potential option with their program in Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization.
Convergence
After taking a couple classes on programming (I know, CS isn't just programming) and an upper division intro to combinatorics, I'd like to get more into the area of discrete mathematics. I hope to pursue a PhD at some point, but I'm not sure how strong of a school I can get into since currently my undergrad GPA isn't the greatest. But combinatorics/graph theory and programming are very interesting, so I was wondering if there were any schools in the U.S. that may have such a program.

Physics news on Phys.org
Georgia Tech has a program in Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization that might be suitable for you.

1. What is a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science?

A Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science is a graduate-level program that combines the study of mathematics and computer science. It allows students to develop a strong foundation in both fields and gain advanced knowledge and skills in areas such as programming, data analysis, and mathematical modeling.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science?

There are several benefits of pursuing a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science. This program allows students to gain expertise in two highly in-demand fields, making them more competitive in the job market. It also provides a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, finance, and research. Additionally, the combination of math and computer science can enhance problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. How long does it take to complete a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science?

The duration of a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science program varies depending on the university and the student's course load. On average, it takes around 2-3 years to complete, but some programs can be completed in as little as 18 months. Part-time options may also be available, which can extend the duration of the program.

4. What are the admission requirements for a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science?

Admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, students applying for a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science must have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as math, computer science, or engineering. They may also need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

5. Can I pursue a Dual Masters in Math and Computer Science if I don't have a background in either field?

While having a background in math or computer science can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for admission into a Dual Masters program. Some universities offer pre-requisite courses for students without a background in these fields to help them catch up before starting the program. It is best to check with individual universities for their specific requirements.