Could Passive Marijuana Smoke Make Me Dumber? Help!

• Thread starter hattanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, the individual is concerned about the effects of secondhand smoke from their new roommates who smoke a lot of weed. They are worried about getting dumber and potentially failing a drug test. The expert suggests finding a new place to live and educating oneself about the effects of weed. They also suggest setting boundaries with the roommates to not smoke inside the shared living space. The expert also addresses the misconception that weed automatically makes someone stupid and encourages the individual to do their own research.
hattanders
Hello
I just moved in with some new people who, I have found out, smoke a lot of weed. Now the internet is full of info about how passive smoking can explain a positive drug test but this is not what I'm interested in. I'm afraid I could get dumber from the passive smoke inhalation. If that's the case I need to get it to stop. I spend 10 hrs a day doing mathematics and getting good at it and I don't want to see it go to waste.
What would you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
hattanders said:
Hello
I just moved in with some new people who, I have found out, smoke a lot of weed. Now the internet is full of info about how passive smoking can explain a positive drug test but this is not what I'm interested in. I'm afraid I could get dumber from the passive smoke inhalation. If that's the case I need to get it to stop. I spend 10 hrs a day doing mathematics and getting good at it and I don't want to see it go to waste.
What would you do?
Before moving in with these people, did one ask these people if they smoked?

If they smoke, they should take it outside. On the other hand, it if is their property, it's their right to smoke indoors. If they persist in smoking in common indoor areas, I'd suggest looking for a new place to live.

The effect of weed is only a temporary stupidity. If you are continuously in a haze of smoke, then I'd worry about the affects of the particulate matter on your lungs in about 30 or 40 years. There are so many other sources of unhealthy vapors and particles, I wouldn't worry about long term brain effects.

Are you actually getting buzzed from it? If so,how often? As I recall, you need to be breathing a thick haze for a while to pick up enough to feel an effect, but I don't know what they've done to Cannabis in the last two decades; for all I know pot leaves are producing solid chunks of THC crystals. Either way, I think that the other concern you mentioned (positives on drug tests, especially the hair test) is more relevant. Make sure you are out of that situation for a month or two before you get close to a situation that may require one.

Astronuc said:
On the other hand, it if is their property, it's their right to smoke indoors

Not in the United States. Here, marijuana is illegal and you don't have a right to smoke it anywhere.

hattanders said:
Hello
What would you do?

you mean you didn't know those guys were gettin' high when you moved in with them? Der dawg. And they ain't gonna' stop neither. Now what? you going to start gettin' high with them too if you don't watch it. you know how it goes, havin' a party, hottie you're interested it, she's gettin' high too. "oh common' it's just a little weed, just try it." And I mean she's so fine you really want some of it. Hard to resist that. "what the heck, everybody's gettin' high, lemme' just try it, sides, sure would like to get a little bit of that. . . "

Gonna' have to move out. No other solution to this equation.

Last edited:
hattanders said:
What would you do?
I would find another place to live.

Jack21222 said:
Not in the United States. Here, marijuana is illegal and you don't have a right to smoke it anywhere.
Note - I did not refer to illegal activities, merely smoking - whether tobaco or otherwise. The point is to know beforehand the people with whom one is living. I would not chose to live with a person who smoked in the house.

When I travel, I request a non-smoking room in hotels that still allow smoking in the rooms.

First, rid yourself of the misconception that weed makes you stupid no matter what, that will serve to ease your worries, which will help. Take some time during your mathematics studies to do some research on cannabis and see how much you actually know about it, not simply what you have heard. Second, set up a living-scenario where they do not smoke in the house out of respect for you, whether or not it makes you stupid you still may not want to have smoking in your house constantly. You will not get stupid from a contact buzz from other people smoking inside, I do not know how much they would have to haze a room for you to even get a contact buzz. Finally, realize that by "stupid" you may mean only "short term memory loss" and realize that that is temporary, a temporary you probably would not like to deal with, but that's ok because your not getting high, moreover, the short term memory loss is proportional to the amount you smoke/how frequently (with of course a good old proportionality constant for the individual), but in any case it is extremely limited for those who do not smoke much and for someone such as yourself, nonexistant.

* haha Chrisxx beat me to the punch, and I agree with him, the alcohol analogy was good. And I especially enjoy the last suggestion, do some maths, do some girls, do some drinkin

I just don't get why people make this type of thread, they can't be that stupid that they can't fuigure out the solution. IT really winds me up.

1. Staying in the same house with people smoking weed will do precisely nothing to you unless you
a: smoke it yourself.
b: stand with your head DIRECTLY next to it
c: Unless the air is so thick with da ganja that you can't see. Even then you'll kill more braincells from walking into wall becuase of impaired vision. This is akin to smelling some booze and being worried it's murdering your brain cells. It'll kill brain cells sure (but not really any more than die anyway), but won't make you a gibbering simpleton.

2. If you don't like it... MOVE. (I note you say that YOU moved in, not THEM)

It's not <fornication> difficult is it really. Or do you just want us to stroke your ego for doing 10 hours of maths or agree with you totally that smoking weed is evil, and wrong, and horrid etc OP?

You do 10 hours of maths a day. I'd suggest you go and get a girlfriend and learn to stop being so uptight. Maybe drink a Malibu... make you more easy going.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
I just don't get why people make this type of thread, they can't be that stupid that they can't fuigure out the solution. IT really winds me up.

1. Staying in the same house with people smoking weed will do precisely nothing to you unless you
a: smoke it yourself.
b: stand with your head DIRECTLY next to it
c: Unless the air is so thick with da ganja that you can't see. Even then you'll kill more braincells from walking into wall becuase of impaired vision. This is akin to smelling some booze and being worried it's murdering your brain cells. It'll kill brain cells sure (but not really any more than die anyway), but won't make you a gibbering simpleton.

2. If you don't like it... MOVE. (I note you say that YOU moved in, not THEM)

It's not <fornication> difficult is it really. Or do you just want us to stroke your ego for doing 10 hours of maths or agree with you totally that smoking weed is evil, and wrong, and horrid etc OP?

You do 10 hours of maths a day. I'd suggest you go and get a girlfriend and learn to stop being so uptight. Maybe drink a Malibu... make you more easy going.

I disagree. It will do something to you and you don't even have to smell it. They're gettin' high and you're not. That immediately marginalizes you. you don't engage with them as you should, tension builds up because you're not gettin' high, not being with them and hanging out with them. It's not a good situation to be in and the temptation is always there to start smoking with them.

It's his business if he wants to do math all day long for that matter. Why are you criticizing him for that? Maybe he needs some positive input from others. Is that what you would have told your son if he came to you with that? I think you did more harm than good in this matter but after all, it's just a general discussion forum.

Thread has turned into a rant. Closed.

What is "Dumb from contact buzz"?

"Dumb from contact buzz" is a slang term often used to describe a state of mental confusion or impairment caused by being in close proximity to someone who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Can you become "Dumb from contact buzz"?

While being in close proximity to someone who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol may temporarily alter your mental state, it is unlikely to cause any long-term effects. However, if you consume the substance yourself, you may experience more significant impairment.

Is "Dumb from contact buzz" a real medical condition?

No, "Dumb from contact buzz" is not a recognized medical condition. It is a colloquial term used to describe a temporary state of confusion or disorientation caused by being around someone who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

How can I avoid becoming "Dumb from contact buzz"?

If you are concerned about being affected by someone else's drug or alcohol use, it is best to distance yourself from that person or avoid situations where drug or alcohol consumption is present. It is also important to make responsible decisions about your own substance use to avoid any potential negative effects.

Can "Dumb from contact buzz" be dangerous?

In most cases, "Dumb from contact buzz" is not dangerous. However, if you are in a situation where someone's drug or alcohol use may put you in harm's way, it is important to remove yourself from that situation and seek help if necessary.