Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb question regarding short circuit test equivalent resistance

1. Apr 16, 2017 #1
    Hi,
    Silly little question about the transformer short circuit test.
    When I perform it with the secondary shorted and I get Req = Power / current2

is this Req = Rpri + Rsec?
    If I measured Rpri and Rsec with a multimeter?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

It is Rpri+Rsec*(Npri/Nsec)2.
    The second term on the RHS is the reflected secondary resistance or the secondary resistance "seen" by primary.

4. Apr 18, 2017 #3
    Can we move this a = (Npri/Nsec)2 term to get the primary and secondary resistances as seen by themselves?
    So if I measure Rpri and Rsec with a multi meter then will the value of Rpri I get on the meter be
    Rpri = Req - Rsec*(Npri/Nsec)2

Where Rsec is the value of the secondary from the meter?

5. Apr 18, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes (provided the test is performed with secondary shorted).

6. Apr 18, 2017 #5
    Just to be 100% clear: When you say the test I presume you mean the Short Circuit test in finding Req, and not measuring the coils resistance with the multimeter? (because I can't see how it would make any difference to that)
    So bottom line is that other than the values I can derive from Short Circuit and Open Circuit tests, I still need either the Primary coil resistance, or the Secondary coil resistance (via multimeter) to accurately and specifically know every individual parameter of the transformer? (i.e. to separate the primary and secondary resistance values out from Req)
    Thanks again

7. Apr 18, 2017 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes to all.

8. Apr 20, 2017 #7
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted