Dyadic Squares in the Unit Disc: A Proof and Critique

• Thread starter Someone2841
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc Unit
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from the textbook Real Mathematical Analysis by Charles Chapman Pugh, in which the goal is to show that the unit disc contains finitely many dyadic squares whose total area exceeds ##π−ϵ## and only intersect along their boundaries. The conversation also mentions the definition of ##\pi## and the use of the ##\text{area}## function without proof. The solution involves the sets ##P_m##, ##D##, and ##S_m##, and the proof includes a lemma that shows ##\pi## is the least upper bound for the area of these squares. Lastly, the conversation mentions the need to prove that every rectangle in ##\mathbb{R}^2
Someone2841
I previously asked a question about this problem. I think I found the answer myself, and I want to know how I did. I'm pretty new at this proof thing and have been working through the textbook Real Mathematical Analysis by Charles Chapman Pugh. Any criticism would be appreciated!

Problem (Chapter 1, Problem 22a):
Given ##ϵ>0##, show that the unit disc contains finitely many dyadic squares whose total area exceeds ##π−ϵ##, and which intersect each other only along their boundaries.​

Notes
The first issue is the definition of ##\pi##. For the purpose of this problem, I will assume ##\pi## is the area of the unit disc and thus the least upper bound for the area of all subsets thereof. Secondly, the ##\text{area}## function and its properties are used freely without definition or proof.

Proof

Let
##P_m## be the set of dyadic squares with edge-length ##\frac{1}{2^m}## in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. These squares are either identical or intersect only at their boundaries (previously proved) and have an area of ##\frac{1}{4^m}##;
##D## be the unit disk;
##S_m = \{s \in P_m : s \subseteq D\}## be the squares in ##P_m## that are contained in the unit disk;
and ##A = \{a: m \in \mathbb{N} \text{ and } a = \text{area}(\bigcup S_m)\}##.​

##A## is non-empty [since ##\text{area}(\bigcup S_1) = 1##] and ##\pi## is an upper bound for ##A##, and so ##c=\text{l.u.b. }A## exists. Choose any ##\epsilon > 0##. There exists (by virtue of c being the l.u.b.) an ##m## such that ##c - \epsilon < \text{area}(\bigcup S_m)##.

Lemma ##c = pi##.
Clearly ##c \leq \pi## since otherwise there would exist an ##m## and ##\lambda > 0## such that ## \pi = c - \lambda < \text{area}(\bigcup S_m)\}##, and ##D## contains squares whose area total more than ##D## itself.

Suppose then that ##c < \pi##. Then every ##S^c_m = D\backslash \bigcup S_m## has a positive area less than ##\pi-c##. There must exist then a common dyadic square ##d \subseteq \bigcap_{m \in \mathbb{N}} S^c_m## with edge length ##\frac{1}{2^n}## and area ##\delta## such that ## 0<\delta = \frac{1}{4^n} < \pi - c## (otherwise, how does every ##S^c_m## have a positive area?). Now choose some ##m## such that ##c < \text{area}(\bigcup S_n) + \delta##. Now, ##n>m## since ##S_n## contains at least one square from ##S^c_m##. Since each square in ##S_m## is partitioned into smaller squares in ##S_n##, it is clear that ##\bigcup S_m \subseteq \bigcup S_n##, but ##S_n## also contains (at least) the extra square with the area ##\frac{1}{4^n}## and so ##\text{area}(\bigcup S_m) + \frac{1}{4^n} \leq\text{area}(\bigcup S_n)##. Thus,

##c < \text{area}(\bigcup S_m) + \frac{1}{4^n} \leq\text{area}(\bigcup S_n) \leq c##,​

which is a contradiction. Therefore, ##c## cannot be less than ##\pi## and must instead be equal to ##\pi##.

and so ##c=\pi##.​

Proof Cont.

By the lemma, ##\pi - \epsilon < \text{area}(\bigcup S_m)##. If ##S_m## were infinite, then ##\text{area}(\bigcup S_m)## would also be infinite (since all squares are of equal size); this is false because the area must be less than or equal to ##\pi##. Therefore for any ##\epsilon## a finite number of dyadic squares can be choosen whose area exceeds ##\pi-\epsilon##. Each dyadic square is the same size and unique by construction; therefore (by a previous theorem), the squares intersect only at their boundaries or not at all.

End of Proof

Thanks in advance!

EDITED

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be important to proof that every rectangle in ##\mathbb{R}^2## contains a dyadic square and also more explicitly that ##\bigcup S_m \subset \bigcup S_n \iff n>m##. Are these obvious/immediate enough to assume? (for instance, in a real analysis course)

1. What are dyadic cubes?

Dyadic cubes are a type of mathematical object that can be visualized as a three-dimensional cube with edges that are powers of two. They are commonly used in the study of fractals and self-similar sets.

2. What is a unit disc?

A unit disc, also known as a unit disk, is a two-dimensional geometric shape that is bounded by a circle with a radius of one unit. It is often represented as the set of all points that are a certain distance or less from a given center point.

3. How are dyadic cubes related to a unit disc?

In the context of fractals, dyadic cubes can be used to approximate the shape of a unit disc. By dividing the disc into smaller and smaller cubes, the resulting shape will become increasingly similar to a unit disc.

4. What are some applications of dyadic cubes in a unit disc?

Dyadic cubes in a unit disc have been used in various fields such as computer graphics, image processing, and signal processing. They can also be applied in the study of complex systems and dynamical systems.

5. Can dyadic cubes in a unit disc be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, dyadic cubes can be extended to higher dimensions such as four or five dimensions. However, visualizing and understanding higher dimensional dyadic cubes can be more challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques.