Dynamics Homework Help - Verify Va & Aa Answers

In summary: so, by differentiateing with respect to time, you're saying that you're taking the average of the two over the entire time interval?yes, that's exactly what i'm saying.
glitchy
Hey all,

anyone help me verify the answer for the question

i got

Va=-5(root 3)i + 3j ft/s and
Aa=45i-29j ft/s^2

Attachments

• DSC00355.jpg
    DSC00355.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not host your image somewhere until it gets approval?

for the velocity, i got the j component to be 5. this would give it a speed of 10 which is equal to the speed of the other end which seems reasonable to me due to the symmetry of the problem when the rod is horizontal.

eok20: you mind showin me you workin. I'm assumin you got the same for the 'i' component though?

yea, i got the same thing as you for the i component. what i did was find an expression involving the distance of end a (call it s_a) to the vertex and the distance of end b to the vertex (s_b). since the distance between a and b is always 2 and the ends stay on those lines, we know that (s_a*cos30 + s_b*cos30)^2 + (s_a*sin30-s_b*sin30)^2 = 2^2. then i differentiated with respect to time and put in 10 for ds_b/dt and 1/cos30 for s_a and s_b.

i understood everything u said clearly apart from " then i differentiated with respect to time and put in 10 for ds_b/dt "

i differentiated both sides of the equation (s_a*cos30 + s_b*cos30)^2 + (s_a*sin30-s_b*sin30)^2 = 2^2 with respect to time, keeping in mind that s_a and s_b are both functions of time.

i'm sorry, ur losing me a bit here. how can u differentiate with respect to time if you don't have a 't' in the whole thing. it's basically a constact.

the distance between each end and the vertex is changing over time-- ds_a/dt and ds_b/dt are both nonzero (in general).

What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion and forces of objects and how they change over time.

What is Va and Aa in dynamics?

Va stands for velocity of the object, while Aa stands for acceleration. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

How do I verify Va and Aa answers in dynamics?

To verify Va and Aa answers, you can use kinematic equations and plug in the known values for velocity, acceleration, and time. You can also use graphs to visually represent the motion of the object and determine the values of Va and Aa.

What are some common units for Va and Aa in dynamics?

Velocity is commonly measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), while acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).

What are some real-life applications of dynamics?

Dynamics has many real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of projectiles, designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, analyzing the forces acting on vehicles, and understanding the movement of planets and other celestial bodies.