1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics problem of two bars

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    Hello!, Im trying to solve this problem of the book beer vector mechanics for engineers statics and dynamics, I`ll be very glad if you can help me with this
    http://i.imgur.com/pFkUfuv.png (Image of the problem)
    Each of the two identical slender bars shown has a length L. Knowing that the system is released from rest when the bars are horizontal, calculate the equations for angular velocity(ω) of rod AB and velocity of point D for values of θ from 0 to 90 degrees.

Here are some formulas that might help:
    I= 1/12 mL^2
    Principle of conservation of energy T1 + V1 = T2+V2
    V=mgh
    T= (1/2)*Iω^2
    V= ωxr

First I tried to solve as a mechanism of three bars but it didn´t work and I´m trying to solve it with moments of Inertia I= 1/12 mL^2 and kinematics but the problem doesn´t say the mass of the rods, I also tried to solve for the equations of the two positions (when the rods are horizontal and when the angle is 90) but I can not get to anywhere
    Thanks for taking your time to read this.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?