Angular velocity of a pendulum

In summary: If you are defining I as the moment of inertia about the pivot (rather than the mass centre), then yes.
jisbon
Homework Statement
There are two identical, uniform rods each of length 𝐿 and mass 𝑚 forming a
symmetrical T-shaped pendulum as shown.
The pendulum is released at some angle 𝜃 (less than 90D). Derive the angular velocity of the pendulum when the 𝜃 = 0.
Relevant Equations
-
1573723881009.png

So this question has something probably due to the conservation of angular momentum. I am able to find the moment of inertia about the pivot, which is :
$$\dfrac {1}{3}mL^{2}+\left( \dfrac {1}{12}ML^{2}+mL^{2}\right) =\dfrac {17}{12}ml^{2} $$

Now to find angular velocity when angle =0, how am I able to apply the conservation of angular momentum law without knowing the initial angular speed and angle? (even though they tell me to release less than 90 --> what does this imply in this case?)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
So this question has something probably due to the conservation of angular momentum
Think again: at t=0, L=0

BvU said:
Think again: at t=0, L=0
t as in time? If so, yes because of the pendulum is not released yet, so L =0
When theta is 0, how can I find what is the L though? There is no time provided etc.

The 'think again' was aimed at your assumption that you need conservation of angular momentum for this exercise. Under what circumstances is angular momentum conserved ? Does that apply here ?

BvU said:
The 'think again' was aimed at your assumption that you need conservation of angular momentum for this exercise. Under what circumstances is angular momentum conserved ? Does that apply here ?
Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external forces ...

Thinking about it again, should I be using the energy method instead? GPE = GPE + KE ? Or is there other methods to use?

jisbon said:
Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external forces ...
And the Earth is not part of the system whose angular momentum you are considering, so...?

jisbon said:
Thinking about it again, should I be using the energy method instead? GPE = GPE + KE
By all means, yes !
So now consider how you want to express KE...

BvU said:
By all means, yes !
So now consider how you want to express KE...
Will there be any translational KE in this case?

jisbon said:
Will there be any translational KE in this case?
That depends on how you choose to consider the motion.
If you think of it as a rotation about the hinge then that expresses the whole motion, so you can treat it as entirely rotational, with the appropriate moment of inertia.
Or you think of it as a rotation about the mass centre, plus the linear velocity of the mass centre.
Either way you get the same total KE.

Alright.. So if I use the energy method:

1573733849499.png

If I take the dot as the origin, is it safe to say that:

$$mg\left( \cos \theta \dfrac {L}{2}\right) =\dfrac {1}{2}I\left( \dfrac {v}{r}\right) ^{2} $$

where left hand side shows the GPE , no KE at initial angle, and RHS as when theta =0, and there is no gpe

jisbon said:
$$mg\left( \cos \theta \dfrac {L}{2}\right)$$
Remember that only differences in potential energy are physically meaningful. This oversight masks the fact that you also have a sign error here.

And that the lower rod also has mass and mechanical energy (potential and kinetic) ...

Likes jbriggs444
jisbon said:
Alright.. So if I use the energy method:

View attachment 252824

If I take the dot as the origin, is it safe to say that:

$$mg\left( \cos \theta \dfrac {L}{2}\right) =\dfrac {1}{2}I\left( \dfrac {v}{r}\right) ^{2} $$

where left hand side shows the GPE , no KE at initial angle, and RHS as when theta =0, and there is no gpe
Further to @jbriggs444's comment...
Which dot? I see one at the pivot and another half way down.
How are you defining I?
What is r?

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rotational speed of an object around a fixed point. In the case of a pendulum, it is the rate at which the pendulum bob moves along its circular path.

How is angular velocity calculated for a pendulum?

The formula for calculating angular velocity of a pendulum is ω = √(g/L), where ω is the angular velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

What factors affect the angular velocity of a pendulum?

The angular velocity of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the force of gravity. It is also affected by any external forces, such as air resistance, that may act upon the pendulum.

How does the angular velocity of a pendulum change over time?

In a simple pendulum, the angular velocity remains constant as long as the length and mass of the pendulum remain constant, and there are no external forces acting upon it. However, in a more complex pendulum system, such as a double pendulum, the angular velocity may change over time due to the influence of multiple moving parts.

What is the relationship between the angular velocity and the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete swing, and it is inversely proportional to the angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.