Determining Acceleration for Block A to Avoid Falling from Cart

• Thread starter Mehta29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: In this case, the acceleration would be in the x direction, and the normal force would be equal to the weight of the block.
Mehta29
Umm...I having trouble with the concept of acceleration and friction i guess...or something...

What acceleration must a cart have in order that the block A will not fall the coefficient of static friction between the block and the cart is μ , how would the behavior of the blokc be described by an observer on the cart?

I'm not sure if you guys can envision the problem but its a big box on "wheels" with a small box sort of attached to it

and i don't know how to answer either of the questions really

I know in teh x direction u have Fn and in the y direction u have mg acting downwards and friction acting upwards...

Would Fn = (m1+m2)a and Ff - Mg= (m1+m2)a? or would u set Ff = mg?

Yea I'm drawing blanks up to here...

any help would be appreciated...thanksss

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, start by identifying the vertical and horizontal forces acting on the small block. Then apply Newton's 2nd law to the small block for each direction. Hint: What direction is the acceleration?

okay i understand the acceleration part...a = g/μ...was just a little confused because the normal force had no force acting in the opposite direction...but how would it look to an observer? wouldn't it just remain stationary and look like it was a part of the cart?

Mehta29 said:
I know in teh x direction u have Fn and in the y direction u have mg acting downwards and friction acting upwards...

I don't think friction acts upward in this case. The normal force acts upward, countering the gravitational force (and any other down forces there may be) on the object.

Now, the friction force acts in opposition to motion, and it is Mu*Fn (where Mu is the coefficient of friction and Fn is the normal force)

This is assuming that the surface the block is resting on is flat with respect to the Earth.

Mehta29 said:
okay i understand the acceleration part...a = g/μ...was just a little confused because the normal force had no force acting in the opposite direction...but how would it look to an observer? wouldn't it just remain stationary and look like it was a part of the cart?
Huh? :smile:

Perhaps I'm thinking of a different problem. I imagine that the small block is on the front surface (vertical surface) of the cart, held there by friction. Is that correct?

If so: What forces act on the block? What direction is its acceleration?

If the block doesn't slip down it will move along with the cart.

1. How is acceleration calculated for Block A?

The acceleration of Block A can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What is the initial velocity of Block A?

The initial velocity of Block A can be determined by measuring its speed at the beginning of the experiment. Alternatively, if the block is at rest, the initial velocity can be assumed to be 0 m/s.

3. How can the change in velocity be measured for Block A?

The change in velocity for Block A can be measured using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the block to move from its initial position to its final position. The distance traveled by the block can also be measured and used to calculate the change in velocity using the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

4. What is the role of gravity in determining the acceleration of Block A?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the acceleration of Block A. The force of gravity, represented by g, pulls the block downwards, causing it to accelerate. The value of g is approximately 9.8 m/s2 on Earth, and this value can be used in the acceleration formula to calculate the acceleration of Block A.

5. How can the acceleration of Block A be adjusted to prevent it from falling off the cart?

The acceleration of Block A can be adjusted by changing the force acting on it. This can be done by increasing or decreasing the force applied by the cart, changing the angle of the incline, or adjusting the weight of the block. By carefully controlling these factors, the acceleration of Block A can be adjusted to prevent it from falling off the cart.