E field distribution in spark discharge

In summary, the conversation is about a forum member doing their master thesis in mechanical engineering and seeking help with simulating an audio frequency electric discharge in a spark plug using Ansys HFSS software. They are interested in estimating the dielectric constant and loss tangent of the air plasma, as well as understanding how the electric field varies in space. Some suggestions and resources are provided, but no definitive answer is given.
fnsaceleanu
Hi,

I just joined this forums.
I'm currently doing my master thesis in mechanical engineering, however, my topic is related to plasma physics.
As part of my results, I need to simulate an audio frequency electric discharge in a spark plug in air, in Ansys HFSS software.

The discharge is at 35 kHz, and an oscilloscope obtains the voltage between electrode and ground plate, and current through the ground plate, every nanosecond.

Is this info enough to estimate the dielectric constant and loss tangent of the air plasma, every nanosecond?
I'm interested to know how the electric field varies in space, from the data obtained through the oscilloscope.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks!

Florin

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot answer your question, but I found this paper:

Phys. Rev. 83,3 (1951)

1951 Finkelburg Segal The Potential Field in and around a Gas Discharge

Jano

Florin,
I'm not really qualified to answer this, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. That said:
Dielectric constant should be related to the rate of change of current and voltage between electrode and ground plate prior to the arc discharge. At that point I think the spark plug would be acting as a very low-value air-dielectric capacitor. If you know how fast this "capacitor" charges given a particular applied voltage, and you know the dimensions of the "capacitor" (the size of the electrode and ground plate, and distance between them) you should be able to determine the dielectric constant.

I don't know what a loss tangent is, so I can't help you there...

Thanks for the link Jano.

and Eman, could you show me the formula that relates the dielectric constant to the rate of change of current and potential between electrode and ground? (I have the current rate of change and potential difference)

I went another way around it, and assumed that plasma conductivity, omega, (E field divided by curreny density J) is simply maximum E field divided by maximum measured current through the wire. Then I found the dielectric constant from conductivity value and the AC frequency.

But as you said, there's probably a better way to calculate that.
Thanks!

Ok, I can see how to relate the permittivity to the rate of change of voltage and current.. formula for a capacitor, where the capacitance is a function of the permittivity and geometry.
Is this what you meant?

Also, the loss tangent is the angle between the real permittivity and its imaginary part.
In plasmas, the permittivity has an imaginary part that is related to absorption/reflection of the electromagnetic waves.

So now the question is how to use this complex permittivity... I'm guessing that's why discharge gaps are modeled as resistor/capacitor, so you have a real and a fluctuating loss.

Just a comment: conventionally the audio frequency range is from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. 35kHz would be “ultrasonic” because we humans cannot hear it.

fnsaceleanu said:
Thanks for the link Jano.

and Eman, could you show me the formula that relates the dielectric constant to the rate of change of current and potential between electrode and ground? (I have the current rate of change and potential difference)

I'm not really sure what you're asking, nor am I really sure I'm the person to give you a definitive answer... but this seems like it might help:

http://www.avx.com/docs/Catalogs/cbasic.pdf

Equation III relates the current to the capacitance and dV/dt, and capacitance contains the dielectric constant.

This discussion also seems relevant:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=145203

Last edited by a moderator:

What is spark discharge?

Spark discharge is a phenomenon in which a high voltage electrical current passes through a gas, causing a sudden release of energy in the form of light and heat. It is often seen as a spark or arc between two electrodes.

What is the role of the E field in spark discharge?

The E field, or electric field, plays a crucial role in spark discharge. It is responsible for accelerating the charged particles in the gas, creating a flow of current and ultimately producing the spark. The strength and distribution of the E field can greatly affect the characteristics of the spark discharge.

How is the E field distributed in spark discharge?

The E field in spark discharge is not uniform, meaning it is not evenly distributed throughout the gas. It is strongest near the electrodes and decreases as the distance from the electrodes increases. The shape and strength of the E field vary depending on the geometry and properties of the electrodes.

What factors affect the E field distribution in spark discharge?

Several factors can influence the E field distribution in spark discharge, including the voltage applied, the gas composition and pressure, and the distance between the electrodes. The shape and material of the electrodes also play a role in determining the E field distribution.

Why is understanding the E field distribution important in spark discharge?

Understanding the E field distribution in spark discharge is important because it can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of the spark. It can also help in optimizing the design and performance of spark-based devices and systems, such as spark plugs in engines and spark gap switches in high voltage equipment.