Struggling With Part C of Electric Field Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about the struggle with Part C of a problem involving the equation V = kQ1/r1 + kQ2/r2, where Q1 = -4.4e-12C, k = 8.98755e9, r1 = 0.026 m, Q2 = 27.4e-12, and r2 = .051-.026. The answer of 8.329 V was determined to be wrong without an explanation as to why. Advice was given to make a sketch and to read the guidelines for further assistance.
johnio09
Homework Statement
Consider a solid conducting sphere with a radius 1.5 cm and charge -4.4pC on it. There is a conducting spherical shell concentric to the sphere. The shell has an inner radius 3.7 cm and outer radius 5.1 cm and a net charge 27.4 pC on the shell. A) denote the charge on the inner surface of the shell by Q'2 and that on the outer surface of the shell by Q ''2 . Find the charge Q''2. Answer in units of pC. B) Find the magnitude of the electric field at point P, midway between the outer surface of the solid conducting sphere and the inner surface of the conducting spherical shell. Answer in units N/C. C) Find the potential V at point P. Assume the potential at r = infinity. Answer in units of volt.
Relevant Equations
E =kQ/r^2
V = kQ/r
I've figured out parts A and B but I'm struggling with Part C. I used the equation V = kQ1/r1 + kQ2/r2 where Q1 = -4.4e-12C ; k = 8.98755e9 r1 = 0.026 m Q2 = 27.4e-12 and r2 = .051-.026 My answer (8.329 V) is wrong but I have no idea why. Please help if you can.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnio09 said:
My answer (8.329 V) is wrong but I have no idea why.
I have no idea either why your answer 8.329 V is wrong because my mind-reading abilities are not what they used to be. I can't help you find what's wrong unless you post what you did and how you got that answer.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Hello @johnio09 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

johnio09 said:
I've figured out parts A and B
Perhaps you can enlighten us ?

johnio09 said:
wrong but I have no idea why
How do you know it's wrong ? Because the book answer is different ?

Perhaps you used the wrong equation ? What's the idea behind it ?

Several ways out are feasible. My advice: make a sketch of ##|E| ## vs ##r##.

Oh, and do read the guidelines . Follow them as best you can and we'll get along just fine :smile: !

##\ ##

1. What is Part C of Electric Field Calculation?

Part C of Electric Field Calculation refers to the third part of the process of calculating the electric field at a point in space. It involves using the electric field equation and the principle of superposition to find the net electric field at a point due to multiple charges.

2. Why do people struggle with Part C of Electric Field Calculation?

Part C of Electric Field Calculation can be challenging because it requires a good understanding of the electric field equation and the concept of superposition. It also involves dealing with multiple charges and their respective electric fields, which can be complex to calculate.

3. What are some tips for solving Part C of Electric Field Calculation problems?

Some tips for solving Part C of Electric Field Calculation problems include: breaking down the problem into smaller parts, drawing a diagram to visualize the charges and their respective electric fields, and using the principle of superposition to find the net electric field at a point.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Part C of Electric Field Calculation?

To improve your understanding of Part C of Electric Field Calculation, it is important to have a strong grasp of the fundamentals of electric fields and the equation for calculating them. Practice solving different types of problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Part C of Electric Field Calculation problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving Part C of Electric Field Calculation problems include: forgetting to account for the direction of the electric field vectors, using the wrong units, and not considering the signs of the charges when applying the principle of superposition.