Net Electric Field Homework: Find Ea, Eb, and Enetx

In summary, when calculating the electric field at point A, it is important to consider the signs of the charges and their relative locations. In this case, using absolute values for the charges and then determining the direction of the field components based on the vector directions led to the correct answer of -241.467 N/C.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

204.PNG

Homework Equations

Enetx=((kq1)/r^2 +^2) with the pos/neg of the coefficients being dependent on the position of the charges around the point

The Attempt at a Solution

As everything is one dimensional we can assume the j an k compnents of the electric field are 0
Part a
Ea= -(kq1)/r1^2+(kq2)/r2^2
=-(8.99E9N)(3.7E-12C)/(.011m)^2+(8.99E9N)(-1.8E-12C)/(.022m)^2
=-274.901 N/C+ -33.4339 N/C
=-308.335 N/C

This was incorrect and I am unsure of my mistake(s) and can only assume I would carry them over to the next two calculations

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
-274.901 N/C+ -33.4339 N/C
At A, the positive charge provides a negative component to the left and the negative charge provides a positive component to the right. You show two negative components. In short, you used the negative sign for the negative charge twice. It is probably easier to calculate the size of the component using positive values for all charges, figure out the direction of the field components from the diagram and add negative signs as needed.

kuruman said:
At A, the positive charge provides a negative component to the left and the negative charge provides a positive component to the right. You show two negative components. In short, you used the negative sign for the negative charge twice. It is probably easier to calculate the size of the component using positive values for all charges, figure out the direction of the field components from the diagram and add negative signs as needed.

So you're saying I should use absolute values for both charges and hen decide direction when adding them together? So in this case it should have been -274.901+33.4339= -241.467 N/C?

The signs of the charges along with the relative locations of the charges at the points of interest are mucking up your algebra. You either have to be very careful indeed to keep it all straight, or do the practical thing: First sketch in vectors for the field directions due to each charge at the points of interest. Then calculate the field magnitudes using absolute values for the charges. Write the algebra to incorporate direction based on the vector directions.Edit: Ah. I see that kuruman got there ahead of me! :smile:

Jrlinton said:
So you're saying I should use absolute values for both charges and hen decide direction when adding them together? So in this case it should have been -274.901+33.4339= -241.467 N/C?
That's what I and @gneill are saying. Now you should be able to do the other two parts on your own. If not, you know where to go for help.

1. What is a net electric field?

A net electric field is the overall electric field that is experienced at a point due to the combination of multiple electric fields from different sources. It can be calculated by adding the individual electric fields vectorially.

2. How do you find the net electric field?

To find the net electric field, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field at the given point. Then, add these vectors together using vector addition to get the net electric field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the net electric field?

The equation for calculating the net electric field is Enet = Ea + Eb + Ec + ..., where Enet is the net electric field and Ea, Eb, Ec, etc. are the individual electric fields.

4. What is the significance of finding the net electric field?

Finding the net electric field is important because it helps us understand the overall effect of multiple electric fields at a given point. This is useful in various applications, such as predicting the movement of charged particles or determining the forces acting on them.

5. Can you have a negative net electric field?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative net electric field. This occurs when the individual electric fields are pointing in opposite directions and cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field with a negative magnitude.