E-Fields Question: Finding Zero E-Field & Acceleration

• Thread starter apphysicsgirl
  • Start date
In summary, the equation for E1 and E2 is y=kQ/r1^2 and y=kQ/r2^2. If you are at a point on the y-axis, the distance from that point to each charge is r1 and r2.
apphysicsgirl

Homework Statement

Two charges, charge one is +Q and charge two +2Q, are fixed in a plane along the y-axis of an x-y coordinate plane. Charge one is at point (0,a) and Charge two is at the point (0,2a).
(a) Is there any portion of the y-axis in which the total electric field is zero? If so, where?
(b) If a small negative charge, -q, of mass m were placed at the origin, determine its initial acceleration (magnitude and direction).

Homework Equations

E1=E2
F=ma
E=F/q
E=1/4pi(epsilon not)xQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), there will always be an e-field along the y-axis except for a point in between the two charges. I am having trouble finding that point, though. I set the two e-fields equal to each other, but was unsure of what to put as the radius for each.

For (b) I used F=ma and then plugged in F=Eq to get a=Eq/m. My final answer was (-1/4pi(epsilon not)x(Q/a^2+Q/2a^2)xq)/m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a) You can use symmetry conditions to find that point. Just think about it logically, where should the E-field go to zero if the 2 charges are equal?

b) Your method is correct. I don't get why you would have an A there since both charges are +Q? Also, the 2a^2 in the denominator of the second term should have parenthesis: (2a)^2

For (b) the capital A was supposed to be a Q. And I also mistyped the question--the second charge is +2Q.

Ok, then for a)

You have for one charge: E1=kQ/r1^2 and E2=2kQ/r2^2 right. Since you are contained on the y-axis, the distance from a point on the y-axis to your charge 1 and 2 is r1 and r2. That should be relatively easy to find. The variable is y. Find a y such that the two are equal.

I think I am still confused on what to substitute for r1 and r2. Should one be y and the other (a-y)?

If you are at point y, how far are you from Q1? How far are you from Q2? Those are the values to put for r1 and r2.

If that still confuses you, just put some solid numbers. If I am at y=0, how far am I from Q1 and Q2? What if I were at y=8?

So then does y=sqrt(2)a?

Thanks a lot for your help! I used real numbers and got the same answer. I understand it much better now.

FAQ: E-Fields Question: Finding Zero E-Field & Acceleration

1. What is an E-Field?

An E-Field, or electric field, is a region of space in which an electric charge experiences an electric force. It is represented by a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you find a zero E-Field?

A zero E-Field can be found by placing a test charge in the region and moving it around until it experiences no electric force. This indicates that the E-Field at that point is zero.

3. What is the significance of finding a zero E-Field?

Finding a zero E-Field can indicate several things: the presence of a neutral point, the presence of two equal and opposite charges, or that the E-Field is zero at that specific point in space.

4. How does the presence of a zero E-Field affect acceleration?

If there is a zero E-Field, it means that there is no electric force acting on a charge at that point. This would result in no acceleration, as there is no force to cause a change in velocity.

5. Can a zero E-Field exist in a real-life scenario?

Yes, a zero E-Field can exist in real-life scenarios. For example, in an electric dipole with two equal and opposite charges, there will be a point between them where the E-Field is zero. Also, in certain regions of space between charged plates, the E-Field may be zero.

Back