E-ink device for surveying research articles

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an e-ink device with specific features, such as PDF support with annotations and easy navigation to different parts of long articles. The Kindle was suggested but it was noted that it may not be the best for surveying research articles. The Sony Digital Paper was also mentioned as a potential option, but it is currently only available in certain countries and is quite expensive. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a tablet for reading articles in PDF form.
Ravi Mohan
Hi

I am looking for a good e-ink device with the following features:

a. PDF support with annotations. The screen should be capable of displaying one full page with readable font.
b. easy navigation to different parts of long article. Navigating by page number would be helpful.
c. internet access

I have tried Kindle, 6" E Ink Display. It supports annotations but one PDF page is split into two parts which obstructs the reading flow. Navigation is handy (two buttons for page up and page down) but navigation to a distant part of the article requires lot of time.

Kindle was designed for reading books and it serves it best. I was wondering if there is any such device for surveying research articles (with lot of equations).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's unfortunately difficult. I've wanted an A4 sized e-reader for quite a while but there aren't any products like that out at the moment, at least in my country. Sony have a 13.3" e-reader that looks great and would seem to meet your needs. It's called Digital Paper, it used to be that you could only buy them in Japan (or ebay) but it seems that the sony website is selling them directly. Not sure what countries they ship to though (I tried to add one to my cart to check but it wouldn't let me for some reason). They're quite pricey though at over $1,000.

As far as I know the only thing that will do the trick is a tablet, large e-readers just don't seem to have come to market. I use my ipad for reading articles in PDF form (can't remember ever using it for annotations but I'm sure there are apps for that).

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Digital paper indeed seems to meet the requirements but, as you mention, it is quiet costly :(.

1. What is an E-ink device for surveying research articles?

An E-ink device for surveying research articles is a handheld electronic device that uses E-ink technology to display and organize digital copies of research articles. It is designed specifically for researchers and scientists to easily access and read multiple articles on a single device.

2. How does an E-ink device differ from a regular tablet or e-reader?

E-ink devices use electronic ink technology, which mimics the appearance of ink on paper, to display text and images. This makes it easier on the eyes and provides a more natural reading experience compared to traditional backlit screens found on tablets and e-readers.

3. What are the benefits of using an E-ink device for surveying research articles?

An E-ink device allows for easy organization and access to a large number of research articles in one place. It also reduces eye strain and fatigue, making it ideal for extended reading sessions. Additionally, E-ink devices have long battery life and are lightweight, making them convenient for on-the-go use.

4. Can I annotate and take notes on an E-ink device?

Yes, many E-ink devices come equipped with note-taking and annotation features, allowing you to mark up and highlight important sections of research articles. This feature is especially useful for organizing and summarizing information for later use.

5. Are E-ink devices compatible with all file formats for research articles?

Most E-ink devices support common file formats such as PDF, EPUB, and MOBI. However, it is important to check the specifications of the specific device to ensure compatibility with the desired file format.