What Is the Momentum of a Particle with Energy Four Times Its Rest Mass?

• Thread starter Xaspire88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary, the momentum of a particle whose total energy is four times its rest energy is 3.87 times its rest energy, or 3.87mc. This is calculated using the formula p = mv / √(1 - v^2/c^2) with the Lorentz factor being equal to 1/4. Alternatively, the expression E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 can also be used to find the momentum.
Xaspire88
What is the momentum of a particle whose total energy is four times its rest energy? Give your answer as a multiple of mc.

Well the rest energy of an object is E=mc^2
so the total energy for this particle would be E= 4(mc^2)
in order to achieve this Energy value the Lorentz factor would have to be equal to 1/4.
Beyond that i do not understand how to relate the Energy to the relative momentum of the particle

Relativist Momentum
[tex]p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you know that the Lorentz factor is 1/4...use that to find v in terms of c. Then you can plug this into the expression for p.

There is a potentially easier method using the relation

[tex]E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2[/tex]

if you have learned this equation. However, you seem to be halfway there already using the other method, so you might as well do that (or you can use both methods and verify that they give the same answer).

An easier way is to use the expression for total energy of a particle in terms of rest energy and momentum. Do you know it? (E = mc^2 is a special case of that more general expression.)

Edit: Ben just gave it to you while I was typing. :wink:

so using the expression that Ben gave me I would solve for p then?

Edit: Or if i wanted to continue on my original path i would solve for v and then plug that into the equation for relative momentum, and solve for it in terms of mc.
i calculate the v to be v= 0.97c

p= mv/(square root(1-v^2/c^2))
p= (m * .97c)/(square root(1 - (0.97)^2)
p= .97mc/(1/4)
p= 3.87mc
? is that correct?

Last edited:
Perfectly correct. (Be sure to do it the other way, just for the practice. And to see how much easier it is.)

What is 4mc Momentum for E=4mc^2?

4mc Momentum for E=4mc^2 refers to the mathematical relationship between energy (E) and momentum (p) in special relativity, where the energy is equal to four times the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

Why is 4mc Momentum important?

4mc Momentum is important because it helps us understand how energy and momentum are related in the special theory of relativity. It also plays a crucial role in various areas of physics, such as particle physics and astrophysics.

How is 4mc Momentum calculated?

4mc Momentum can be calculated using the formula p = E/c, where p is the momentum, E is the energy, and c is the speed of light. In the case of E=4mc^2, p would equal 4m.

What are the units of 4mc Momentum?

The units of 4mc Momentum are in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s), which is the standard unit for momentum in the SI system of measurement.

Can 4mc Momentum be applied to all objects?

Yes, 4mc Momentum can be applied to all objects, regardless of their mass or speed. However, it is most commonly used in the context of particles that are moving at speeds close to the speed of light, as described by the special theory of relativity.