1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-P invariant on relativistic mecahnics problem

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moving at speed [itex]\frac{3}{5}c[/itex] collides with an identical particle at rest, and forms a new particle of mass [itex]M[/itex] which moves off at speed [itex]v[/itex]. Find v.

2. Relevant equations
    E-P invariant: [itex]E_1^2-p_1c^2=E_2^2-p_2^2c^2=\mathrm{const.}[/itex]
    Momentum: [itex]p^2=m^2c^2\left({\gamma_v^2-1}\right)[/itex]
    Energy: [itex]E=\sum_i\gamma_im_ic^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is a single particle after the collision, so [itex]E_2^2-p_2^2c^2=M^2c^4[/itex]
    where [itex]E_2=\gamma_vMc^2[/itex]
    and [itex]p_2^2=M^2c^2\left({\gamma_v^2-1}\right)[/itex]

so

[tex]
    \gamma_v^2M^2c^4-M^2c^4\left({\gamma_v^2-1}\right)^2=M^2c^4\\
    \gamma_v^2-\left({\gamma_v^4-2\gamma_v^2+1}\right)=1\\
    \left({\gamma_v^2-1}\right)\left({\gamma_v^2-2}\right)=0
    [/tex]

Reject the [itex]\gamma_v^2=1[/itex] solution, since this would mean [itex]v=0[/itex].

The [itex]\gamma_v^2=2[/itex] solution gives [itex]v=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}c[/itex], which is incorrect - the answer is [itex]v=\frac{1}{3}c[/itex].

I expect there's something fundamentally wrong with my method, but not sure what? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You shouldn't have squared the factor ##(\gamma_v^2-1)## in the first line. With this approach, all you'll end up with is M=M, so it's not helpful.
    You haven't used any information from before the collision. Use conservation of energy and momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook