Earth and Moon (Acceleration of Gravity)

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the weight of an object on the moon, as well as determining how many Earth radii away the object must be in order to have the same weight as it does on the moon. The attempted solution includes using the moon's mass and radius, the gravitational constant, and the object's weight on Earth. However, the solution is incorrect due to including the radius of the Earth itself. By subtracting one Earth radius, the correct solution is obtained.
physics817

Homework Statement

The moon has a mass M = 7.36e+022 kg and an average radius R = 1740 km.
for part a)I solved for the gravitational acceleration on the surface of the moon= 1.62 m/s^2

An object on Earth weighs 64 N.

b) What is the weight of this same object on the moon? Answer: 10.568 N

I am stuck on part c. of the problem...
c) How many Earth radii must this same object be from the surface of the Earth if it is to weigh the same as it does on the surface of the moon?

Homework Equations

g= GMe/Re^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was, I tried to use the g(moon)= 1.62= GMe/(nRe)^2
where G= 6.67e-11
Me= 5.97e24
Re=6.37e6

And solved for n= number of Earth radii= 2.461, but that isn't correct.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics817 said:
I am stuck on part c. of the problem...
c) How many Earth radii must this same object be from the surface of the Earth if it is to weigh the same as it does on the surface of the moon?

[...]n= number of Earth radii= 2.461, but that isn't correct.
It seems that what is wrong is that you're including the radius of the Earth itself, where as the question asks how many radii is it from the surface of the Earth and not its centre.

The Bob

is that the right way to solve the problem then? Since it asks for how many Earth radii from the surface of the earth..and I included one radius of the eart in my answer..all I do is minus 1 to get the answer?

Thanks.

I can't see anything wrong with your method apart from the fact it includes the radius of the Earth itself rather than from the surface. I believe simply taking away 1 will give you the correct solution. If not, let us know.

The Bob

I did get the correct answer after subtracting one..I was unsure as to whether the problem-solving was correct of if I got to the answer by chance. Thank you very much for your help!

Cool, no problem. Glad to help. All the best,

The Bob

What is the acceleration of gravity on Earth and the Moon?

The acceleration of gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, while on the Moon it is about 1.6 meters per second squared.

Why is the acceleration of gravity different on Earth and the Moon?

The acceleration of gravity is different on Earth and the Moon because it is dependent on the mass and size of the objects. Earth is larger and has more mass than the Moon, so it has a stronger gravitational pull.

How is the acceleration of gravity measured?

The acceleration of gravity can be measured using a variety of methods, such as dropping objects and measuring their speed or using pendulums. The most accurate measurement is done using sophisticated equipment like gravimeters.

Does the acceleration of gravity affect objects differently on Earth and the Moon?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity affects objects differently on Earth and the Moon due to the different gravitational pull. Objects will fall more slowly on the Moon compared to Earth, and their weight will also be different due to the difference in gravity.

Is the acceleration of gravity constant on Earth and the Moon?

No, the acceleration of gravity is not constant on Earth and the Moon. It can vary depending on altitude, location, and other factors. On Earth, it is slightly higher at the poles compared to the equator, while on the Moon it can vary depending on the topography of the surface.