Earthing Transformer: Wye vs Zigzag Connection

In summary, zigzag construction is less expensive than using a separate earthing transformer, but there is a greater risk of shorts if the transformer is not properly earthed.
jacquisdelumen
:rolleyes: I'm curious if we use a direct wye connection instead of zigzag in case of earthing transformer.. i know that by merely looking if we use wye connection in earthing specially in medium voltage you have to have enough reactance for your exciting voltage.which will cost more in construction.also should there be shorts you directly ground the system which is very dangerous.does my opinion correct? any opinion might help..thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am thoroughly confused by the above.

jacquisdelumen said:
:rolleyes: I'm curious if we use a direct wye connection instead of zigzag in case of earthing transformer.. i know that by merely looking if we use wye connection in earthing specially in medium voltage you have to have enough reactance for your exciting voltage.which will cost more in construction.also should there be shorts you directly ground the system which is very dangerous.does my opinion correct? any opinion might help..thanks

If you are describing a three phase transformer, we in the USA usually refer to them as a WYE or Delta configuration. I’m not familiar with “zigzag”. Your post is hard to understand.

Folks,

Zigzag transformers are used all over the world for earthing (grounding) and unearthed bus, and in voltage ranges from LV to MV. I think the original question is along the lines "why would you bother earthing a bus with a separate zigzag when star-points (wye-point) are available?" I think it mainly comes down to cost - if there is a need to Earth a bus via several separate star-connected transformers, each with associated neutral bushing and full voltage insulation at the netra end, the lower cost with a single zigzag transformer comes into consideration. I have seen them on a set of 33 kV busses where one of the incomers was delta, so there was a possibility of an ungrounded bus if that incomer was in service with all other star-connected feeders and incomers out of service - a dedicated earthing transformer then makes sense and zigzag construction is a very cost-effective way of achieving that. If all incomers on a bus were star connected and are able to be earthed at tehe star-point, then there is no need for a separate earthing transformer.

Earthing transformers do not have to be zigzag - it is just one method - they can also be a more normal star delta with the star-point earthed and teh delta either used for aux power or not used.

1. What is the purpose of an Earthing Transformer?

An Earthing Transformer is used to provide a low impedance path for fault currents to the earth in order to protect the power system equipment and personnel from high voltages during faults.

2. What is the difference between a Wye and Zigzag connection for an Earthing Transformer?

Wye and Zigzag are two common connection configurations for Earthing Transformers. In a Wye connection, the transformer primary winding is connected in a Wye configuration, while in a Zigzag connection, the winding is connected in a Zigzag configuration. The main difference is in the way the windings are connected, which affects the transformer's impedance and saturation characteristics.

3. Which connection is more commonly used for Earthing Transformers?

The Wye connection is more commonly used for Earthing Transformers. This is because it provides a lower impedance path to the earth, which is essential for efficient fault current diversion. Additionally, the Wye connection has a higher insulation level and is easier to manufacture.

4. What are the advantages of using a Zigzag connection for an Earthing Transformer?

The Zigzag connection has a higher impedance compared to the Wye connection, which can be beneficial in some situations. It also has better voltage regulation due to its symmetrical winding arrangement. Moreover, the Zigzag connection can be used in applications where there are high harmonic currents present, as it can effectively filter out these harmonics.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Wye or Zigzag connection for an Earthing Transformer?

One limitation of the Wye connection is that it can cause unbalanced currents in the neutral, which can lead to overheating and other issues. On the other hand, the Zigzag connection has a larger physical size and is more complex to manufacture, which can increase costs. Additionally, the Zigzag connection is not suitable for applications with high fault current levels.