Easy calculation of basis of the null space

In summary, to find the basis of the nullspace of the given matrix, you need to put the matrix into Row Reduced Echelon Form and solve for the values of the free variables to obtain the basis vectors. Substituting 0 and 1 for the last row will give you two basis vectors, but you also need to consider the first row to obtain a total of four basis vectors.
td21
Gold Member

Homework Statement

find the basis of the nullspace of this matrix [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1&1&1&-1 \\ 0&0&1&3 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i forget it.
i first substitue 0 and 1 for last row but what about the first row? Substiute 0 and 1 again and this will give 4 basis? but i think there is only 2 basis.

Physics news on Phys.org
td21 said:

Homework Statement

find the basis of the nullspace of this matrix [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1&1&1&-1 \\ 0&0&1&3 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i forget it.
i first substitue 0 and 1 for last row but what about the first row? Substiute 0 and 1 again and this will give 4 basis? but i think there is only 2 basis.

I don't understand what you mean by "Substitute 0 and 1 for the last row". What you need to do is to put this matrix into Row Reduced Echelon Form. This is equivalent to solving the equation:

(1,0)x_1 + (1,0)x_2 + (1,1)x_3 + (-1,3)x_4 = (0,0)

Then, you will have some expressions that relate the values of x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4. Use this to construct a basis for the null space.

Equivalently, if you call the vector <x, y, z, w>, you get x+ y+ z- w= 0 and z+ 3w= 0. From the latter, z= -3w. Putting that into the first equation, x+ y+ z- (-3w)= x+ y+ 4w= 0 so x= -y- 4w.

That is, any such vector can be written <x, y, z, w>= <-y- 4w, y, w, -3w> and you can get your basis vectors from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert1986 said:
I don't understand what you mean by "Substitute 0 and 1 for the last row". What you need to do is to put this matrix into Row Reduced Echelon Form. This is equivalent to solving the equation:

(1,0)x_1 + (1,0)x_2 + (1,1)x_3 + (-1,3)x_4 = (0,0)

Then, you will have some expressions that relate the values of x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4. Use this to construct a basis for the null space.
Well, sub 0 and 1 to free variable technique is done as follow, but failed...
1)From the last row, sub last element as 0, obtain 1 vector: (ab00)
2)From the last row, sub last element as 1, obtain 1 vector: (cd-31)
1*)from1), sub b as o, obtain (0000)[discard]
1**)from1), sub b as 1, obtain (-1100)[1st basis]

2*)from2), sub d as o, obtain (40-31)[2nd basis]
2**)from2), sub d as 1, obatin (31-31)[3rd basis?but it is the 1st basis + 2nd basis?]

1. What is the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of vectors that are mapped to the origin by the matrix.

2. Why is calculating the basis of the null space important?

Calculating the basis of the null space is important because it allows us to determine the linear independence of the columns of the matrix. This information is useful in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of the matrix.

3. How do you calculate the basis of the null space?

To calculate the basis of the null space, we first reduce the matrix to row-echelon form using Gaussian elimination. Then, the columns corresponding to the pivot positions in the reduced matrix form the basis for the null space.

4. Can the null space of a matrix have more than one basis?

Yes, the null space of a matrix can have infinitely many bases. This is because any multiple of a vector in the null space will also be in the null space, and each multiple can form a different basis.

5. How is the nullity of a matrix related to the basis of the null space?

The nullity of a matrix is equal to the number of vectors in the basis of the null space. In other words, the nullity is the dimension of the null space, which is the number of linearly independent vectors in the basis.