Easy differential equation?

In summary, The problem at hand is a differential equation with the given equation of dy/dx = x+y^2. The individual needs assistance with solving this equation by separating the variables, but is unable to do so. They also mention needing to integrate the solution to find the value of y. Another person joins the conversation and states that the equation is not easy to solve and may require the use of a Bessel function. However, the individual clarifies that they may have meant \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = xy^2, which is a separable equation. They thank the person for their help and mention that they were able to solve it using Euler's method, but it is still a challenging problem.
greg997
Easy differential equation??

I appreciate any help with this problem.

dy/dx =x+y^2

I need to solve it but i tried to do this by seperating the variables and i can 't do it. And then i need to integrate that to find y.

Thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org

This doesn't look like an easy differential equation to me. Is solving the differential equation the exercise or did you find that differential equation by trying so solve another problem?

The solution isn't elementary (Mathematica gives a messy solution which uses the Bessel function).

Are you sure you don't mean [tex]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = xy^2 [/tex]? That's a separable equation

Hello, thanks for helping. It turned out it can be solved using Euler's method,

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of calculus and is commonly used to model various physical and natural phenomena.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and use of integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

3. What is an easy differential equation?

An easy differential equation is one that can be solved using basic methods such as separation of variables or substitution. These equations typically have a simple form and do not involve advanced concepts or techniques.

4. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important in many fields of science and engineering as they allow us to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in solving optimization problems and in understanding fundamental laws of nature.

5. Can differential equations be solved by hand or do you need a computer?

Some differential equations can be solved by hand, especially easy ones. However, for more complex equations, a computer is often needed to find numerical solutions. Additionally, some differential equations have no analytical solution and can only be solved using numerical methods.