Integrate 1/(2x+2x^2): Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the problem is to find the integral of 1/(2x+2x^2). The conversation discusses different approaches, with one person suggesting to factorize the denominator and integrate by parts, while another suggests using partial fractions instead. The correct solution is given as -(1/2)ln(x+1)+(1/2)ln(x).
fredrick08

Homework Statement

int(1/(2x+2x^2))dx

The Attempt at a Solution

can someone help me where to start with this one i know its not hard, but i can't find out what to factorize then do parts??

ive forgotten this simple integration stuff, do i make it 1/2x(x+1) then integrate by parts?? anyways the answer is -(1/2)ln(x+1)+(1/2)ln(x) i have to use parts don't i, or can i separate some how??

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you've factorized the denominator, seems like you should integrate by partial fractions, not by parts.

ah ok ty, let me try

lol ty for pointing how stupid i can be sometimes... quite embarrassing lol

FAQ: Integrate 1/(2x+2x^2): Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve in a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve problems related to finding the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is it important to integrate 1/(2x+2x^2)?

This integration problem is a common example used to demonstrate the process of integration. It helps to understand the basic concepts and techniques of integration, which are essential for solving more complex problems in mathematics and science.

3. What is the step-by-step guide for integrating 1/(2x+2x^2)?

The first step is to factor out a 1/2 from the denominator to get 1/2(1/x+x). Then, use the substitution method by letting u=1/x. After substituting and simplifying, the integral becomes 1/2∫(1/u+u)du. This can be solved by using the natural log and power rules of integration.

4. What are the limits of integration for 1/(2x+2x^2)?

The limits of integration depend on the specific problem or context in which the integration is being used. If there are no given limits, the integral is considered to be indefinite and will result in a general solution with a constant of integration.

5. How do you check your answer for integrating 1/(2x+2x^2)?

You can check your answer by differentiating the result and seeing if it simplifies back to the original function 1/(2x+2x^2). You can also use online integration calculators to verify your solution or ask a math tutor or professor for help.

Back