Easy problem, but cant figure it out

• Thread starter spidey12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, after hours of struggling with this problem, the lift force of a helicopter moving horizontally at a constant velocity can be found by using trigonometry to find the vertical component of the lift and setting it equal to the weight of the helicopter. The horizontal component of the lift can then be found using the magnitude of the lift and the angle of 21 degrees. This horizontal component is also equal to the resultant vector, R.
spidey12
I've been trying out this problem for hours and can't figure it out.

A helicopter is moving horizontally to the right at a constant velocity. The weight of the helicopter is W = 52100 N. The lift force vector L generated by the rotating blade makes an angle of 21.0° with respect to the vertical.

Find the magnitude of the Lift force. And find the resultant vector R.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9747/0455vd2.gif

At first i tried doing 52100sin69 for the lift..but that is not the correct answer...STUCK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What must the sum of the vertical forces be? What's the vertical component of the lift force? (Call the lift force "L".)

Try resolving the lift into horizontal and vertical components. If the helicopter is moving horizontally, with constant velocity, what does that tell you about the net vertical force? What about the net horizontal force?

Edit: beaten by a matter of seconds there :biggrin:

Vertical component of Lift must be equivalent to the magnitude of the weight.

cristo said:
Try resolving the lift into horizontal and vertical components. If the helicopter is moving horizontally, with constant velocity, what does that tell you about the net vertical force? What about the net horizontal force?

Edit: beaten by a matter of seconds there :biggrin:

Thats what i tried doing...

the net vertical force is 0, the horizontal force must then be 52100Ncos(69)..however i inputed this answer and it was marked wrong.

By the way I'm so confused now..

What forces act on the helicopter? (List them.)

What is the vertical component of each force?

Add up those vertical components and solve for L.

spidey12 said:
Thats what i tried doing...

the net vertical force is 0, the horizontal force must then be 52100Ncos(69)..however i inputed this answer and it was marked wrong.

52100Ncos(69) is incorrect...

Doc Al said:

I'm kind of at a loss but I'll try:

FyNet=W-fn

In the x direction: Fx=R-v

Right?

Velocity is not a force. R is related to the horizontal component of the Lift.

Your Trig. was also incorrect.

Vikingjl11 said:

I don't understand at all. How should I arrange my equation then?

Vikingjl11 said:

Is the lift force going to be 52100N since the helicopter is not moving up or down?

spidey12 said:

FyNet=W-fn
What is fn?

v is a velocity, and thus should not be in a force equation. You are missing a term including the lift.

The easier way to do this, is to forget FyNet and Fx, since everything is in equilibrium. You should resolve the lift (L) into a horizontal and vertical component. Then, since the forces are in equilibrium, you should be able to write two equations:

Vertical: forces pointing up = forces pointing down
Horizontal: forces pointing right = forces pointing left.

There is no acceleration in either the x or y direction. This means the net force must be zero in both the x and y directions. Therefore, the upwards force must be equivalent to the magnitude(absolute value) of the downforce or weight(weight = M*g). Also, R must be equal to the magnitude of the x component of the lift.

Use 51200/cos(21) = L to find magnitude of lift

51200N is y component of Lift.

Last edited:
cristo said:
What is fn?

v is a velocity, and thus should not be in a force equation. You are missing a term including the lift.

The easier way to do this, is to forget FyNet and Fx, since everything is in equilibrium. You should resolve the lift (L) into a horizontal and vertical component. Then, since the forces are in equilibrium, you should be able to write two equations:

Vertical: forces pointing up = forces pointing down
Horizontal: forces pointing right = forces pointing left.

this problem has been eating away at me for four damn hours now..ive tried all of this and I've read more than need to know about helicopters and i still can't seem to find that missing piece of info.

forces point up=forced pointing down: L=W

Horizontal: R=52100cos69

is that right?

spidey12 said:
this problem has been eating away at me for four damn hours now..ive tried all of this and I've read more than need to know about helicopters and i still can't seem to find that missing piece of info.

forces point up=forced pointing down: L=W
No. There is only a component of L pointing vertically upwards, not the entire force, L. Try drawing a triangle with L as the hypotenuse, and the angle between the veritcal and the hypotenuse is 21 degrees. What is the length of the veritcal side?

Horizontal: R=52100cos69

is that right?
This is wrong since the above equation is wrong.

Doc Al said:

spidey12 said:

FyNet=W-fn

Right?
No. Try answering each question that I asked exactly as I asked it. Hint: Three forces act on the helicopter, all of which are labeled on your diagram. (The velocity is not one of them--that's why its arrow is drawn in a different color than the force arrows.)

cristo said:
No. There is only a component of L pointing vertically upwards, not the entire force, L. Try drawing a triangle with L as the hypotenuse, and the angle between the veritcal and the hypotenuse is 21 degrees. What is the length of the veritcal side?

This is wrong since the above equation is wrong.

Ok that helped alot. Cos(x)=adjacent/hypotneuse so cos 21=52100/L or L=52100/cos21

is that correct?

For the second part, how is R related to this triangle?

Doc Al said:

No. Try answering each question that I asked exactly as I asked it. Hint: Three forces act on the helicopter, all of which are labeled on your diagram. (The velocity is not one of them--that's why its arrow is drawn in a different color than the force arrows.)

Assuming my above post is correct...

would the Resultant be: 52100tan21=R

spidey12 said:
Assuming my above post is correct...

would the Resultant be: 52100tan21=R

Yea, that would be equal to the x-component of L(lift) and -R.

Vikingjl11 said:
Yea, that would be equal to the x-component of L(lift) and -R.

Ok thank you for helping me with this. Its a super easy problem but I am having major brain cramps today.

Thanks all!

Related to Easy problem, but cant figure it out

1. Why can't I figure out this easy problem?

Sometimes even the simplest problems can be difficult to solve. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts or a mental block preventing you from finding the solution.

2. What should I do if I can't solve an easy problem?

Take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. Try breaking it down into smaller parts or seeking help from a colleague or mentor. Don't get discouraged and keep trying.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more problems you solve, the better you will become at identifying patterns and finding solutions. Also, try to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing equations or formulas.

4. Are there any techniques for solving easy problems?

Yes, there are various problem-solving techniques such as trial and error, working backward, and using visual aids. It's important to experiment with different techniques to find what works best for you.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on easy problems in the future?

Make sure you have a solid understanding of the basics and continuously challenge yourself with new problems. Don't be afraid to ask for help or collaborate with others. Additionally, take breaks and avoid getting frustrated, as this can hinder your problem-solving abilities.