Easy Proportion, but not for me

• Thread starter SystemaNoob1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an easier way to solve a word problem involving principal, rate, and interest. The method involves using only one equation and practicing to make word problems easier. The conversation also mentions the importance of identifying the variables and equations needed to solve the problem.
SystemaNoob1
EDIT: Problem Solved please delete.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a much easier way to do it with one equation and no proportions. Practice makes word problems easier!

.03*x+.05*(6000-x)=220

Dr. Lady said:
There's a much easier way to do it with one equation and no proportions. Practice makes word problems easier!

.03*x+.05*(6000-x)=220

Actually that looks more complicated to me. My way was right too though, right?

Sure... but you can't always rely on guess and check. In this problem we see that there's a principal, a rate, and an interest. We need a problem that accomadates them and only them, and we happen to have P*r=I, which we just need to modify for our uses. Word problems are almost always best thought of as what variables you have and need, and then what equation you already know that relates them.

FAQ: Easy Proportion, but not for me

1. What is Easy Proportion?

Easy Proportion is a mathematical concept that compares two quantities and expresses the relationship between them. It is commonly used to solve problems involving ratios, percentages, and proportions.

2. How do I solve Easy Proportion problems?

To solve Easy Proportion problems, you can use the proportionality equation: a/b = c/d. You can also use cross-multiplication or the unitary method to find the unknown quantity.

3. What are some real-life applications of Easy Proportion?

Easy Proportion is used in a variety of fields, such as finance, cooking, and engineering. It can be used to calculate tax and tip amounts, adjust recipe measurements, and determine the proper size of building materials.

4. Can Easy Proportion be used for more complex problems?

Yes, Easy Proportion can be used for more complex problems involving multiple ratios and unknown quantities. These problems may require the use of algebraic equations or graphical representations to solve.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving Easy Proportion problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Easy Proportion problems include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong numbers in the proportion, and misinterpreting the given information. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your work to avoid these errors.