Why Is My Calculation of Voltage Over 1.5R x R Incorrect?

• Thread starter faen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the student is asking for help understanding a problem involving finding voltage and current using the equation axb = a*b/(a+b). They made an attempt at finding the voltage over 1.5R x R and then dividing it by R to find the current, but it was incorrect. Another person suggests treating 1.5R and R as parallel and then calculating the overall resistance in series with 0.6R. The student thanks them and asks for clarification on where they went wrong in their first attempt. The other person recommends getting familiar with Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws.
faen

Homework Statement

Can somebody please explain to me what i did wrong here? Got exam tomorrow and it would probably be usefull to know.. Thx

skann0006.jpg

Homework Equations

axb = a*b/(a+b)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i tried finding the voltage over 1.5R x R.. Then divide that voltage over R to find the current over R... For some strange reason this is wrong. Plz someone help me to understand why..

Physics news on Phys.org
treat the 1.5R and R as parallel. then in series with the 0.6R to get the overall resistance. current going through 0.6R = voltage/overall R. Then the same current split into the 1.5R and R, calculate.

nice, thanks a lot. Now i got further :)

However if u would be able to point out what i assumed wrong in my first attempt itd be apreciated as well, so i don't happen to do a similar mistake again

hmm... its like really basic. just get familar with kirchhoffs v and i law. u'll be fine

It seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculation for finding the voltage over 1.5R x R. It would be helpful if you could share your specific calculations so that I can better understand where the error may have occurred. Additionally, it may be helpful to review the basic principles of electric circuits and Ohm's Law to ensure that you are approaching the problem correctly. I recommend practicing some sample problems to build your understanding and confidence before your exam tomorrow. Good luck!

What is the definition of current?

Current is the flow of electrical charge through a conductive material, typically measured in amperes (A).

How is current calculated?

Current is calculated by dividing the amount of charge (in coulombs) by the time it takes for the charge to flow (in seconds). This can be represented by the equation I = Q/t, where I is current, Q is charge, and t is time.

What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A). Other common units include milliamperes (mA) and microamperes (μA).

How is current affected by resistance?

Current is inversely proportional to resistance. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation I = V/R, where V is voltage and R is resistance.

What are some common sources of current?

Some common sources of current include batteries, generators, and power plants. Electric currents can also be induced through magnetic fields or through chemical reactions.