Easy question on exam that I couldnt figure out HELP

In summary: This is the key to solving the problem.In summary, a boy throws a rock horizontally at 12 m/s at a pigeon on a fence 5m away, but the rock misses. The question is how much the rock missed by and how long did it take to hit the fence. The time was not given, which caused difficulty in solving the problem. The correct time was found to be 0.42 seconds by using the kinematic equation Vf = Vo + at. However, the vertical component of the initial velocity was not needed as the rock was thrown horizontally. The final answer for how far below the bird the rock hits was found to be 0.87m using the equation y = v_0 t + (1
Aristodol
A boy throws a rock horizontally 12 m/s at a pigeon on a fence 5m away. Unfortunatley the rock the missed. By how much did the rock miss?

I ve got my kinematic stuff down pat, but I just had no idea how to go about this problem.

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the boy aimed directly at the pigeon.

...and how long did it take the rock to hit the fence?

the time was not given, that why I had trouble with it. All the information above is exactly what it said on the test.

Aristodol said:
the time was not given...
You should be able to figure out the time it takes for the rock to hit the fence--you are given all the information needed.

assuming g=10,i get it as ~0.5 m...

Assuming the boy has sufficient height ie, the stone strikes the fence , all the information required is given in the question.
However your answer seems to be incorrect. Post your attempt if you can and we'll try to correct you.

f(x) said:
assuming g=10,i get it as ~0.5 m...
Please give Aristodol the opportunity to solve his own problem. (And if you wish to help, don't just toss out answers.)

I no that assuming that x is 5 you get a time .42s i believe. but that's not the time we actually need so that is where i got stuck. I sat there for a long time pondering this question.

That is most definitely the time you need. Keep going.

Ive been trying to solve this problem for severall days I have been unable to do it. If you could please just show me the way to go about it it would be appreciated. I've tried many of time but i keep getting stuck.

Explain what you've been doing and where you are getting stuck. You have correctly calculated the time it takes for the rock to reach the fence.

Hint: If there were no gravity, the rock would go in a straight line and hit the pigeon. But gravity acts. During the time it takes the rock to get to the fence, how far does it fall?

I have established that t=.42s we no that Vx=Vox=12m/s also Vfy=0m/s ay=-9.8m/s O i see it now

Vf=Vo + at---> 0=Voy + -9.8(.42) Voy= 4.12m/s
now what's throwing me off is that i have the velocities for x and y and I am given a distance in 5 but that's not the correct distance

Aristodol said:
I have established that t=.42s we no that Vx=Vox=12m/s also Vfy=0m/s ay=-9.8m/s O i see it now
Good. You have the correct initial velocity, both horizontal and vertical components.

You have found the vertical component of the rock's speed at the moment it hits the fence. But what you need is the vertical distance it travels in that time.
now what's throwing me off is that i have the velocities for x and y and I am given a distance in 5 but that's not the correct distance
5 m is the horizontal distance it travels; you've already used it to find the time of travel.

What kinematic equation relates distance to time for constant acceleration?

y=4.12(.42) + 1/2 (-9.8)(.42)^2
1.73 + -.86
y=.87m ok?

Aristodol said:
y=4.12(.42) + 1/2 (-9.8)(.42)^2
1.73 + -.86
y=.87m ok?
Not exactly. The equation you are using (for vertical displacement) is this:
[tex]y = v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

But what is the vertical component of the initial velocity?

huh? not exactly sure what u mean by that?

Aristodol said:
huh? not exactly sure what u mean by that?

In an earlier post of yours, you correctly identified the initial vertical velocity of the rock. Doc is asking where you came up with the 4.12 term. What is it? It certainly is not the initial vertical velocity of the rock.

BTW, I think that the final answer you will get is for how far below the bird the rock hits, correct?

4.12 is indeed the initial vertical velocity I solved for it and he agreed that that was indeed the correct number.

Aristodol said:
4.12 is indeed the initial vertical velocity I solved for it and he agreed that that was indeed the correct number.
Nope. 4.12 m/s is not the correct initial vertical speed! 4.12 m/s downward is the vertical component of the velocity when the rock hits the fence--which is not needed to solve this problem.

I probably misread this before. For some reason, you have set Vf = 0. Why? (I had assumed that you were calculating Vf, not Vo. My bad. :redface: )

In any case, the initial vertical speed of the rock is given, no need to calculate it. Remember: It is thrown horizontally.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for exams?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of problems. You can also seek help from your teachers or peers if you are struggling with a particular question.

2. What should I do if I can't figure out an easy question on an exam?

If you encounter an easy question that you can't figure out, don't panic. Take a deep breath and read the question carefully. Break down the question into smaller parts and try to identify what exactly you are struggling with. If you are still stuck, move on to the next question and come back to it later if you have time.

3. How can I manage my time effectively during an exam?

To manage your time effectively during an exam, it is important to read and understand the instructions carefully. Allocate a specific amount of time for each question and stick to it. If you are struggling with a question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Make sure to leave some time at the end to review your answers.

4. What should I do if I don't know the answer to a question on an exam?

If you don't know the answer to a question on an exam, don't leave it blank. Use any clues or information provided in the question to make an educated guess. You can also try to eliminate any obviously wrong options and choose the best answer from the remaining choices.

5. How can I stay calm and focused during an exam?

To stay calm and focused during an exam, make sure to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast before the exam. Take deep breaths and remind yourself that you have prepared for this exam. If you feel anxious, take a moment to close your eyes and clear your mind. Remember to take breaks and stretch during the exam to stay relaxed.