Help Solving a Distance-Time Graph Problem

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation is about a student's question on a distance-time graph. They plot a best-fit straight line and are asked to find the distance traveled after 5 minutes. After discussing the meaning of derivatives and integrals, the student realizes that the distance traveled after 5 minutes is simply the change in position between 0 and 5 minutes, which they determine to be 6.3 km. They thank the person helping them and realize they misunderstood the question.
HelloMotto
hi.

ok so my question is related to distance-time graphs
A chart was given, i plotted it on to graph and drew a bes-fit straight line.

One of the question asks "using your graph, find the distance traveled after 5.0 min."

ok i found the slope of the line between 5min and the last point, which is 12 min.

The problem is i forget what to do next lol. :blushing: Could anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
are you working with derivatives or integrals?

jcsolis said:
are you working with derivatives or integrals?

oh umm. i don't know what derivatives mean lol. i checked my textbook and i can't find those terms.
its a grade 10 science by the way.

First, I think when they say find the distance traveled after 5 minutes, I think they mean to find the distance traveled after five minutes has passed, not the distance traveled from the 5 minute mark to the end of the graph.

OK, so you have position graphed on the y axis, correct? If this is the case, can you tell me the position at 0 minutes, and the position at 5min? If you can, just remember that distance is a change in position.

umm the at 0 mins the car is not moving so 0 distance. and 5 min the car is at 6.3 km.

HelloMotto said:
umm the at 0 mins the car is not moving so 0 distance. and 5 min the car is at 6.3 km.

OK...Read what you just posted. Unless, I'm reading the question incorrectly, I think you just answered your own question.:smile:

Last edited:
G01 said:
OK...Read what you just posted. Unless, I'm reading the question incorrectly, I think you just answered your own question.:smile:

LOL. thank you. i misunderstood the question. thanks again.:rofl:

Your welcome!

1. How do I read a distance-time graph?

To read a distance-time graph, look at the x-axis for the time and the y-axis for the distance. Each point on the graph represents a specific time and distance, and the slope of the line connecting these points represents the speed or rate at which the object is moving.

2. How can I calculate the speed from a distance-time graph?

To calculate the speed from a distance-time graph, divide the change in distance (y-axis) by the change in time (x-axis) between two points on the graph. This will give you the average speed of the object between those two points.

3. What does a flat line on a distance-time graph indicate?

A flat line on a distance-time graph indicates that the object is not moving, as the distance remains constant over time. This could mean the object is at rest or moving at a constant speed.

4. How can I determine the acceleration from a distance-time graph?

To determine acceleration from a distance-time graph, look at the slope of the line. If the slope is increasing, the object is accelerating. If the slope is decreasing, the object is decelerating (or slowing down).

5. What if there is a curve on the distance-time graph?

If there is a curve on the distance-time graph, the slope of the line will change as the object's speed changes. You can calculate the speed at any point by finding the slope of a tangent line to the curve at that point. This will give you the instantaneous speed of the object at that specific time.