1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1

ok so my question is related to distance-time graphs
    A chart was given, i plotted it on to graph and drew a bes-fit straight line.

One of the question asks "using your graph, find the distance traveled after 5.0 min."

ok i found the slope of the line between 5min and the last point, which is 12 min.

The problem is i forget what to do next lol. :blushing: Could anyone help me please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2
    are you working with derivatives or integrals?
  4. Jul 28, 2007 #3
    oh umm. i dont know what derivatives mean lol. i checked my text book and i cant find those terms.
    its a grade 10 science by the way.
  5. Jul 28, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, I think when they say find the distance traveled after 5 minutes, I think they mean to find the distance traveled after five minutes has passed, not the distance traveled from the 5 minute mark to the end of the graph.

OK, so you have position graphed on the y axis, correct? If this is the case, can you tell me the position at 0 minutes, and the position at 5min? If you can, just remember that distance is a change in position.
  6. Jul 28, 2007 #5
    umm the at 0 mins the car is not moving so 0 distance. and 5 min the car is at 6.3 km.
  7. Jul 28, 2007 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.......Read what you just posted. Unless, I'm reading the question incorrectly, I think you just answered your own question.:smile:
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  8. Jul 28, 2007 #7
    LOL. thank you. i misunderstood the question. thx again.:rofl:
  9. Jul 28, 2007 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your welcome!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?