Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Easy question

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    hi.

ok so my question is related to distance-time graphs
    A chart was given, i plotted it on to graph and drew a bes-fit straight line.

One of the question asks "using your graph, find the distance traveled after 5.0 min."

ok i found the slope of the line between 5min and the last point, which is 12 min.

The problem is i forget what to do next lol. :blushing: Could anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2
    are you working with derivatives or integrals?

4. Jul 28, 2007 #3
    oh umm. i dont know what derivatives mean lol. i checked my text book and i cant find those terms.
    its a grade 10 science by the way.

5. Jul 28, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, I think when they say find the distance traveled after 5 minutes, I think they mean to find the distance traveled after five minutes has passed, not the distance traveled from the 5 minute mark to the end of the graph.

OK, so you have position graphed on the y axis, correct? If this is the case, can you tell me the position at 0 minutes, and the position at 5min? If you can, just remember that distance is a change in position.

6. Jul 28, 2007 #5
    umm the at 0 mins the car is not moving so 0 distance. and 5 min the car is at 6.3 km.

7. Jul 28, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.......Read what you just posted. Unless, I'm reading the question incorrectly, I think you just answered your own question.:smile:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  8. Jul 28, 2007 #7
    LOL. thank you. i misunderstood the question. thx again.:rofl:

9. Jul 28, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your welcome!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook