1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Temperature and Kinetic Throey Problem

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    If 2.4m^3 of a gas initially at STP is compressed to 1.6m^3 and its temperature is raised to 30degreesC, what is the final pressure?

I thought this would be a easy one but my answers are coming out and dont look right.

I used pV=nRT

p=1.6m^3
    V=2.4m^3
    R=8.31J(mol*k) --- universal gas constant
    T=30degreesC

So I plugged everything into the equation pV=nRT and solved for n and got .015403, it didnt look right so I converted 30degreesC to K (which equals 303.15K) then solved for n again and got .00154, which im sure is also wrong.

Am I using the wrong equation?? There was only a few to choose from in the book:

pV/T=Constant, pV=nRT, pV/T=NKsubB

Please Help thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2
    if you look at what you are given you have Po, Vo, To. Then we know it is compressed and the temp raises so we know T and V after. We have to solve for P. from the equations below theres one that uses those 3 variables.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #3
    Im assuming pV/T=constant, because the other two deal with molecules.

so p(2.4m^3)/30=1.6m^3?

5. Nov 7, 2007 #4
    PV/T = constant (nK) and that works for both initial and final. Now you'll have two equations with two unknowns, Tfinal and constant

you also know initial pressure, initial volume, and initial temperature so you can find what the constant equals

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?