Easy Temperature and Kinetic Throey Problem

In summary, the question is asking for the final pressure of a gas that has been compressed from 2.4m^3 to 1.6m^3 and its temperature raised to 30 degrees C. Using the equation pV/T = constant, the initial and final values can be plugged in to find the value of the constant. Then, using the same equation and the given initial values, the final pressure can be solved for.
spaumn
If 2.4m^3 of a gas initially at STP is compressed to 1.6m^3 and its temperature is raised to 30degreesC, what is the final pressure?

I thought this would be a easy one but my answers are coming out and don't look right.

I used pV=nRT

p=1.6m^3
V=2.4m^3
R=8.31J(mol*k) --- universal gas constant
T=30degreesC

So I plugged everything into the equation pV=nRT and solved for n and got .015403, it didnt look right so I converted 30degreesC to K (which equals 303.15K) then solved for n again and got .00154, which I am sure is also wrong.

Am I using the wrong equation?? There was only a few to choose from in the book:

pV/T=Constant, pV=nRT, pV/T=NKsubB

Please Help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if you look at what you are given you have Po, Vo, To. Then we know it is compressed and the temp raises so we know T and V after. We have to solve for P. from the equations below there's one that uses those 3 variables.

Im assuming pV/T=constant, because the other two deal with molecules.

so p(2.4m^3)/30=1.6m^3?

PV/T = constant (nK) and that works for both initial and final. Now you'll have two equations with two unknowns, Tfinal and constant

you also know initial pressure, initial volume, and initial temperature so you can find what the constant equals

Last edited:

FAQ: Easy Temperature and Kinetic Throey Problem

1. What is the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem?

The Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem is a common physics problem that involves calculating the average kinetic energy of a gas or particles in a system based on their temperature. It is usually presented in the form of a gas or container with a known temperature and number of particles, and the goal is to find the average kinetic energy of each particle.

2. How do you solve the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem?

To solve the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem, you can use the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. First, calculate the average velocity of the particles using the formula v = √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas. Then, plug in the values for m and v into the KE equation to find the average kinetic energy.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem?

In the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem, temperature and kinetic energy are directly proportional. This means that as the temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the particles also increases. This is because as temperature increases, the particles move faster, resulting in a higher average velocity and therefore, a higher average kinetic energy.

4. Can the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied to many real-life situations. For example, it is used in thermodynamics to understand the behavior of gases and in chemistry to explain the properties of different elements and compounds.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem?

One common mistake when solving the Easy Temperature and Kinetic Theory Problem is using the wrong units for temperature. It is important to use Kelvin when calculating temperature for this problem, as it is based on the absolute temperature scale. Another common mistake is forgetting to convert units, such as using meters per second instead of centimeters per second for velocity. Lastly, not using the correct formula or plugging in the wrong values can also lead to incorrect answers.

Back