1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy: Torque turns bolt

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The Funny Intro:

The summer before he entered high school, Prof. Schueller’s had to run the farm because
    his father had an emergency appendectomy. To adjust the “thread” (the width between
    the wheels) of a John Deere 4020 tractor, a torque of about 1600 ft-lbs. was needed to
    loosen the rusted clamping bolts.

Real Question: With given force and torque arm, how far many degrees past horizontal axis will the bolt turn?

2. What I got

I'm on the last part of the problem here, I have a 6-ft. arm producing 1800 ft.-lb. of Torque.

3. Where I am

I know the 1600 ft-lbs. are used simply to loosen the bolt, but I'm unclear exactly how to measure the degrees the resulting 200 ft-lbs. turns the bolt.

I'm hoping this is an easy one for you guys but he didn't mention a situation like this in class and I don't see the solution in the book. Any help is appreciated :).

For the fun of it, I included the picture my professor drew.

As always, much thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you aren't given enough information. Did you post the question word for word as it was given?

Perhaps they are looking for the angle at which the torque drops below 1600 ft-lbs.

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    I was getting the feeling that I'm lacking information too.

Verbatim: Assume that “x” = 6 ft. If Ed stands at “x” and Schueller at “x/2” and they start at a horizontal position, how far (phi in degrees) will they be able to turn the bolts?

Ed weighs 250 lb, and Schueller weighs 100

Is this what you were talking about, Doc Al?

Attached PDF so it can be very clear.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK, the best you can do is what I had suggested. As the bolt begins to turn and the wrench lowers, what happens to the torque that is exerted by the men? Find the angle at which the torque is no longer enough to turn the bolt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?