What Happens to Torque as the Wrench Lowers?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding the torque needed to loosen a bolt on a tractor. The person asking the question is unsure about how to measure the degrees the bolt will turn with a given force and torque arm. They also mention a picture drawn by their professor and provide additional information about the weights of two individuals involved in the process. The conversation ends with a suggestion to find the angle at which the torque is no longer enough to turn the bolt.
epheterson
1. The Funny Intro:

The summer before he entered high school, Prof. Schueller’s had to run the farm because
his father had an emergency appendectomy. To adjust the “thread” (the width between
the wheels) of a John Deere 4020 tractor, a torque of about 1600 ft-lbs. was needed to
loosen the rusted clamping bolts.

Real Question: With given force and torque arm, how far many degrees past horizontal axis will the bolt turn?

2. What I got

I'm on the last part of the problem here, I have a 6-ft. arm producing 1800 ft.-lb. of Torque.

3. Where I am

I know the 1600 ft-lbs. are used simply to loosen the bolt, but I'm unclear exactly how to measure the degrees the resulting 200 ft-lbs. turns the bolt.

I'm hoping this is an easy one for you guys but he didn't mention a situation like this in class and I don't see the solution in the book. Any help is appreciated :).

For the fun of it, I included the picture my professor drew.

As always, much thanks!

Attachments

• tractor.gif
    tractor.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you aren't given enough information. Did you post the question word for word as it was given?

Perhaps they are looking for the angle at which the torque drops below 1600 ft-lbs.

I was getting the feeling that I'm lacking information too.

Verbatim: Assume that “x” = 6 ft. If Ed stands at “x” and Schueller at “x/2” and they start at a horizontal position, how far (phi in degrees) will they be able to turn the bolts?

Ed weighs 250 lb, and Schueller weighs 100

Is this what you were talking about, Doc Al?

Attached PDF so it can be very clear.

Attachments

• PE-3-Fall08.pdf
    64.4 KB · Views: 155
OK, the best you can do is what I had suggested. As the bolt begins to turn and the wrench lowers, what happens to the torque that is exerted by the men? Find the angle at which the torque is no longer enough to turn the bolt.

1. How do I calculate torque for a bolt?

To calculate torque for a bolt, you will need to know the bolt's size, the amount of force applied, and the distance from the center of the bolt to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. So, if you have a 1-inch diameter bolt and you apply 10 pounds of force at a distance of 2 inches from the center of the bolt, the torque would be 20 pound-inches.

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is typically pound-inches (lb-in) or Newton-meters (N-m). Pound-inches is commonly used in the United States, while Newton-meters is used internationally.

3. Why is torque important for turning bolts?

Torque is important for turning bolts because it measures the amount of rotational force applied to the bolt. If the torque is too low, the bolt may not be tightened enough and could become loose. If the torque is too high, it could potentially damage the bolt or other components.

4. How do I know how much torque to apply to a bolt?

The amount of torque to apply to a bolt depends on the size and type of bolt, as well as the material and strength of the components being fastened. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or a torque chart to determine the appropriate torque for a specific bolt.

5. Can I use a torque wrench for all types of bolts?

No, torque wrenches should only be used for bolts that require a specific amount of torque for proper tightening. Some bolts, such as self-tapping screws, do not have a torque specification and should be tightened by hand. Additionally, torque wrenches should not be used on damaged or stripped bolts as this could result in inaccurate torque readings.