Eccentricity of elliptical path of earth

We take the time derivatives of both sides of the equation to getv_{ap}=\frac{r_{per}}{r_{ap}}v_{per}v_{max}=\frac{r_{per}}{r_{ap}}v_{min}v_{max}=\frac{a(1-e)}{a(1+e)}v_{min}v_{max}=\frac{1-e}{1+e}v_{min}In summary, the eccentricity of Earth's orbit is 0.0167. The ratio of its maximum speed to its minimum speed in its orbit is 1.0340, which can be derived from Kepler's Laws and elliptical orbits. This is different from
Amith2006
Sir,
The eccentricity of Earth's orbit is 0.0167. What is the ratio of its maximum speed to its minimum speed in its orbit?
I solved it in the following way:
Let its maximum and minimum speed be v1 and v2 respectively. Let a and b be the semi length of the major and minor axis respectively. Let e be its eccentricity.
v is inversely proportional to a and b. I took this assumption because at points closest to the centre of the elliptical path the velocity is maximum.
Hence,
v1/v2 = a/b
Now for an ellipse, (1 – e^2) = (b/a)^2
By solving I get,
a/b = 1.00014
Therefore,
v1/v2 = 1.00014
But the book answer is 1.033. Is there any mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
Sir,
The eccentricity of Earth's orbit is 0.0167. What is the ratio of its maximum speed to its minimum speed in its orbit?
Let its maximum and minimum speed be v1 and v2 respectively. Let a and b be the semi length of the major and minor axis respectively. Let e be its eccentricity.
v is inversely proportional to a and b. I took this assumption because at points closest to the centre of the elliptical path the velocity is maximum.
Hence,
v1/v2 = a/b
By solving I get,
a/b = 1.00014
Therefore,
v1/v2 = 1.00014

Your mistake is in assuming that the v1 and V2 are porportional to a and b. They are instead proportional to rap and rper, which are the aphelion and perhelion of the orbit, the furthest distance and closest approach the orbit has to the Sun. (these are not equal to a and b. Since the Sun is located at one of the foci of the elipse and not the center.)

The aphelion is found by
[itex]r_{ap}= a(1+e)[/itex]
and the perhelion by
[itex]r_{per}= a(1-e)[/itex]

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
Hence,
v1/v2 = a/b
By solving I get,
a/b = 1.00014
Therefore,
v1/v2 = 1.00014
But a/b is not the ratio of maximum to minimum radii. A planet prescribes an orbit about the sun with the sun at one of the focii. So the ratio of max radius to min radius is: (1+e)/(1-e), which is 1.0340

Since angular momentum is conserved:

[tex]mvr = [/tex] constant

Therefore: [itex]v \propto 1/r[/itex]

So this is also the ratio of maximum to minimum speeds.

AM

You can prove yourself that

[tex]V_{max} = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{a}\left(\frac{1+e}{1-e}\right)}[/tex]

[tex]V_{min} = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{a}\left(\frac{1-e}{1+e}\right)}[/tex]

This would be a good exercise in Kepler's Laws and elliptic orbits for you :smile:

Andrew's approach to your question can also be derived from Kepler's second law as follows:
[tex]\frac{dA_{ap}}{dt}=\frac{dA_{per}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r_{ap}ds_{ap}}{2dt}=\frac{r_{per}ds_{per}}{2dt}[/tex]

[tex]r_{ap}v_{ap}=r_{per}v_{per}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Eccentricity of elliptical path of earth

1. What is eccentricity in relation to the elliptical path of Earth?

Eccentricity refers to the shape of an elliptical orbit, specifically how elongated or circular it is. In terms of Earth's orbit around the Sun, eccentricity measures how much the orbit deviates from a perfect circle. A perfectly circular orbit would have an eccentricity of 0, while a highly elongated orbit would have an eccentricity close to 1.

2. How does the eccentricity of Earth's orbit affect the seasons?

The eccentricity of Earth's orbit does not directly affect the seasons. The tilt of Earth's axis is the main factor in determining the seasons. However, the eccentricity of Earth's orbit does play a role in the amount of sunlight received in each hemisphere during different times of the year, which can impact the intensity of the seasons.

3. How does the eccentricity of Earth's orbit change over time?

The eccentricity of Earth's orbit changes over time due to various factors, such as the gravitational pull of other planets and the Sun. Earth's eccentricity varies on a cycle of about 100,000 years, with the current value being around 0.0167. This means that Earth's orbit is currently close to a perfect circle, but it will become more elliptical in the future.

4. What is the significance of the eccentricity of Earth's orbit?

The eccentricity of Earth's orbit has several significant effects on our planet. It affects the amount of solar radiation received at different points in Earth's orbit, which can impact the climate and weather patterns. It also plays a role in the length of a year, as Earth moves faster in its orbit when it is closer to the Sun. Additionally, changes in eccentricity over time can contribute to long-term climate cycles.

5. How do scientists measure the eccentricity of Earth's orbit?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the eccentricity of Earth's orbit. One common approach is to use radar or laser ranging to track the distance between Earth and other planets, which can then be used to calculate the eccentricity. Another method is to measure the changes in Earth's orbit over time, such as the precession of the equinoxes, which can also provide information about eccentricity.